very hard to find traning dvd ,video and help

11090   15   2
10 posts
my question is simple ware to find tranning dvd and tutorils on houdini :shock:
jabranbaig
senior cg Artist
68 posts
Yea, learning houdini is definitely not easy, but there are a few places to get training:

1) 3D Buzz [3dbuzz.com] has the best free online tutorials out there. You have to sign up with their site, but they don't spam you, so don't worry.
2) There is actually an awesome set of video tutorials out there somewhere, created by sideFx but it's no longer online. Hopefully in the future this will get put somewhere. I could put it on my site, but I don't know if it would cause any legel issues…
3) The Houdini documentation is great and the tutorials on the sidefx site are good too.
4) Gnomon [thegnomonworkshop.com] has a beginner DVD for $50.
5) Cmi [cmivfx.com] vfx has some advanced tutorials for free.
6) There's also the new book "The magic of houdini [amazon.com]"
53 posts
CMIvfx has 3 free tutorials (1 on halo, 1 on particles dividing over an l-system, and one on breaking an object based on noise, which dives into some vops). But it also has 2 dvds (and more coming, which is what you can read at their forums). The 2 dvds: 1 is on creating digital cities, the other is about l-systems.

About those free tutorials, which were taken off the net, it would be so awsome if you or somebody could re-host them (legally of course). Those video tutorials were the best/
194 posts
2) They are now hosted on odforce.net - http://odforce.net/downloads/videos/v6/ [odforce.net]

Also, for more advanced stuff - Craig Zerouni's Gnomon DVD which covers RBD's is pretty good. CMIVFX has 2 DVDs already, with more on the way.
53 posts
whalerider
2) They are now hosted on odforce.net - http://odforce.net/downloads/videos/v6/ [odforce.net]

I will forever love you.
194 posts
I think the folks behind odforce.net deserve the love more ;-)

stevester1
I will forever love you.
68 posts
O that's awesome, finally I can get other people to learn houdini. I do have a few bones to pick though: 1) I would've had no idea that these videos were on the odforce site, is there a link to it anywhere? Can anyone make it more obvious, maybe put it in the “tutorials” section of the site hehe. 2) It doesn't look like there are any of the scene files with these vids… I have the scene files if the odforce people need them, just pm me.
194 posts
They are on the odforce.net Tutorials page - http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/Tutorials [odforce.net] - under “Mirrored or Legacy Tutorials”.
That takes you to ttp://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/LegacySESIVideoTutorials, which contains the link to the actual downloadable videos. A little convoluted, but it's alright.

ReggieFourmyle
O that's awesome, finally I can get other people to learn houdini. I do have a few bones to pick though: 1) I would've had no idea that these videos were on the odforce site, is there a link to it anywhere? Can anyone make it more obvious, maybe put it in the “tutorials” section of the site hehe. 2) It doesn't look like there are any of the scene files with these vids… I have the scene files if the odforce people need them, just pm me.
68 posts
whalerider
They are on the odforce.net Tutorials page - http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/Tutorials [odforce.net] - under “Mirrored or Legacy Tutorials”.
That takes you to ttp://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/LegacySESIVideoTutorials, which contains the link to the actual downloadable videos. A little convoluted, but it's alright.
haha! Is that considered being “on the site”? There's a tutorials link on the site with no mention of it and even on the tutorials section of the wiki it's at the very bottom of the page…

This is the best way to learn houdini for free, by far. In a perfect world, I think it should be hosted on the sidefx site along with houdini apprentice (or at the very least, have some introductory video tutorials that come with houdini apprentice) but I'm still surprised that it's so discreet on odforce. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that they're online but sesi should just host the damn things, they put the effort in already, so why not.
19 posts
for wich version are those videos ?? and thank you for the link, very good help.
194 posts
version 6, according to the url.
Edited by - Feb. 28, 2007 23:10:52
135 posts
Very extensive as well educational in houdini training ,,, The Garman and Craig Dvd's are great as well. The Cmi studiodvd's are quite amazing. The houdini book as well as the 50 hints of Houdini except of the bigger book from Graig is all you need to really get in depth on houdini. what ever they don;t cover online Docs in the help section for the unexplained….

All this you should be rather familar with houdini and if your an artist put that talent into it.. U have a great waepon at your side….. thanks you guys for all this great stuff…
3D Mind body and Soul Great illusions are done by great artists…
639 posts
Don't forget that Garman also has his own school now. www.VizyAcky.com 8)
10 posts
i want some kind of dvd that features texturing partical charector modeling riging skining animation basic unwraping basic rendering basics of mentra and renderman all the basics of these i know all of that stuff in 3ds max and some in maya
Edited by - Feb. 27, 2007 10:48:22
jabranbaig
senior cg Artist
194 posts
Don't think there's such a DVD out there yet.
I guess you can learn some/most of that (basics) stuff by reading the forum threads and the mailing list archive.

jabranbaig
i have buzz traning already got the gomon dvd
i want some kind of dvd that features texturing partical charector modeling riging skining animation basic unwraping basic rendering basics of mentra and renderman all the basics of these i know all of that stuff in 3ds max and some in maya but i think i like houdini better then both
194 posts
actually, some of the videos are done using 5.1, e.g. the scripted subnets videos. seems like quite a few things have changed; for example the current equivalent of scripted subnets is digital assets.

whalerider
version 6, according to the url.
  • Quick Links