How to get God rays with the viewport volumetric fog

2551   4   0
109 posts
Hi, I'm able to get the fog to work but it doesn't seem to react to a direct light. Is there something other than the display settings that need to be changed?

Thanks!
Staff
5158 posts
Distant lights aren't currently lighting the volumetric fog. To shadow properly they need cascading shadowmaps which haven't been implemented yet. Without shadowing the effect is pretty much DOA. I'm hoping to have implemented on an upcoming production build.

Instead, you can place a point light with no falloff attention a long way off from your scene.
7770 posts
twod
Distant lights aren't currently lighting the volumetric fog. To shadow properly they need cascading shadowmaps which haven't been implemented yet. Without shadowing the effect is pretty much DOA. I'm hoping to have implemented on an upcoming production build.

Instead, you can place a point light with no falloff attention a long way off from your scene.

do you need to mess with the fov to get a shadowmap of good enough resolution?
109 posts
twod

Thanks a ton for letting me know! Cool stuff!
Edited by decksounds - Oct. 25, 2020 01:56:00
Staff
5158 posts
jsmack
twod

do you need to mess with the fov to get a shadowmap of good enough resolution?

Yep, a spotlight somewhat tightly bound to the scene helps with the resolution of the rays. That's what you're seeing in the video of god rays in the 18.5 keynote.
  • Quick Links