KIne fx to rigged hda?

3686   10   3
16 posts
Hello everyone.
I would like to transfer my retargeted animation back to my rigged character(HDA).It seems that the scene character export sop transfers the animation inside the hda`s bones. For an hda all parameters have to be promoted to the top level hda node. So the parameters on the hda are left blank and you get no animation. Do i miss something?I want to transfer it back to my rigged hda cause there are muscles plus other cfx that have to be calculated.
thanks in advance!
Staff
476 posts
Do you happen that have nested OBJ HDAs inside your rigged character?
I tested it with the rigs generated with the AutoRigs and with our simplefemale asset.
It supports following the channel references to the top of the HDA.

Is the Live Export mode working? Make sure you set the “Export OBJ Subnet” parameter to the top of your hda.
16 posts
Thanks Guillaume!
Yes i do have embedded geometries in my hda.I get a crash when i bake animation,well not exactly application doesn`t crash but i get a message to send the error report to sidefx as if houdini crashed but it continues to work after i send the report.Live Export mode does work but the eyes don`t follow the head(they are constrained to the head bone)and even if i parent them they don`t follow.Can`t seem to be able to disable the constraints created by scene character export too.

Attachments:
crash.png (881.2 KB)

16 posts
So here is an example with the basic male rig.Baking keys doesn`t transfer the animation to the hda,live transform export works.this rig also has nested geometry.

Attachments:
TestBakedKeys.zip (128.5 KB)

16 posts
So after diving at the “export scene character” hda i found that the animation baking happens with the “bake transforms node” in the “ropnet1”. I think the problem is that the exported upper level hda parameters don`t follow the classic parameter names like “ty rx ry” but more like “spinetranslate3x spinerotate3x spinerotate3y”cause you get all the transforms parameters from all bones inside it.

So…

Do they find the right parameters to transfer to?
Staff
476 posts
I'm having a look at the file with simplemale1, and my first recommendation is to use 2 rig assets to avoid having cycles.
The “scenecharacterimport1” imports the OBJ rig but also exports to it using with the Live Export flag. The scene breaks when reloading because of that. It can work within the session after, because SceneCharacterImport does caching internally when converting the OBJ rig to an Agent.
You could also put Stash nodes after the 3 outputs of the SceneCharacterImport to break the relationship.
Staff
476 posts
I'm still investigating why it isn't doing the baking properly. I remember there was a problem with relative paths on the target “../../simplemale1”, but I can't get it to work even if I use a full path.
Staff
476 posts
Ah.. I think I understand why the export is failing.
The SceneCharacterExport is trying to export back on the Bone OBJs directly but the FK rig of simplemale is built to have the animation on the ctrl_FK_ prefixed OBJ nodes. I'll continue to try to fix your scene, but that information can help you progress on your own.
Staff
476 posts
Ok, so finally I was able to fix the problem and export the animation properly.
I made a small video explaining the steps I had to do to fix the problem.
My initial feeling was that something was broken on the baking side, but it turned out the controllers were not properly driven by the animation.

Attachments:
simplemale_bake_to_keyframes.mp4 (34.1 MB)
simple_male_fixed.hiplc (4.1 MB)

16 posts
Downloading now!!!Really appreciate it!!!
16 posts
I knew the bake animation was transferring back to bones and not to the actual hda parameters.
Didn`t knew i could remap to ctrl nulls that of course had to be imported too at the character import stage.
That was absolutely awesome,!!!
It makes sense and you can transfer no matter what the complexity of the rig to the right parms!
I had lost hope but now it`s back!
Congratulations for an excellent release, really really thank you!
  • Quick Links