How to delete unused nodes

2259   2   0
15 posts
Hello,

i have fbx files containing several objects/materials and i want to understand how to delete eventual unused node (specifically materials) after i specify what mesh i want to keep.

At the moment i can delete the meshes inside the fbx manually, but i can't delete the unused materials in the scene, manually would take me forever.

Any help appreciated.
Edited by hidalgo884 - Nov. 1, 2020 12:26:45
104 posts
Hi, do you understand the concept of attributes, different contexts of the geometry, where do attributes live in geometry and what is their purpose? Also, it would be easier to help you if you would specify more precisely what are you trying to do instead of asking general questions like this, because Houdini is a whole operating system which I advise you to take a good look before diving into more concrete problems. So from your question it is not clear, how did you import your fbx, how exactly are you getting rid of extra meshes and where are the materials written, are they attached with separate nodes, do they all live in a material network? How much can materials be in the material network, 10, hundreds, thousands? Why do you need even to delete anything? If you already removed or keeping the geometry you don't need, why is that extra material even bothering you? Is it maybe bothering that it clutters your network view, or are you worried that the bunch of unused materials are just taking your memory space? If you are worried about the memory, you should remove all the attributes which you don't need for the final output and there is not going to be any memory problem or unused material.
46 posts
hidalgo884
Hello,

i have fbx files containing several objects/materials and i want to understand how to delete eventual unused node (specifically materials) after i specify what mesh i want to keep.

At the moment i can delete the meshes inside the fbx manually, but i can't delete the unused materials in the scene, manually would take me forever.

Any help appreciated.

Here is a discussion about how to indicate quickly which material is in use by other nodes in the scene.

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/53227/ [www.sidefx.com]
  • Quick Links