How can I use the rotate tool like this in Houdini?

1036   2   1
12 posts
Hi. I am new to Houdini coming from a LW/Modo background.

I am trying to model/shape using the rotate tool. When the tool enters the space, the default place/axes is in the middle of the selection. In other programs I am use to simply LMB clicking where I want the tool to be placed to rotate from and it moves to that point. Please see video attached done in Modo. Can I do this in Houdini? Is there a preference I need to change? If not how do Houdini users move the tool to the correct space for rotation.

Thanks
Image Not Found
Edited by iso - Nov. 18, 2020 18:19:49

Attachments:
Rotate.mp4 (3.2 MB)

7762 posts
The insert key, (also available by right clicking the handle,) changes to pivot transform mode. From there the pivot can be manipulated directly, or enter orientation picking mode (';' key) and click to place the pivot.

Edit:
after watching the video, the pivot appears to move to the location being clicked in screen space. Orientation pick mode will move the item to the element under the cursor, not a detached location in space. To move to a detached location, dragging is required.
Edited by jsmack - Nov. 18, 2020 16:07:31
12 posts
jsmack
The insert key, (also available by right clicking the handle,) changes to pivot transform mode. From there the pivot can be manipulated directly, or enter orientation picking mode (';' key) and click to place the pivot.

Edit:
after watching the video, the pivot appears to move to the location being clicked in screen space. Orientation pick mode will move the item to the element under the cursor, not a detached location in space. To move to a detached location, dragging is required.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Yes the the pivot moves to the location being clicked in screen space with the LMB. It makes these kind of implementations very easy and a much more fluid procedure for modelling.

On another note does anyone else find their “insert” key does not work for changing the Pivot. I have to use the “'”
key (Houdini default settings/English Keyboard)

Image Not Found

Attachments:
My Video3.mp4 (3.3 MB)

• Quick Links