node info stops working

2807   9   2
219 posts
Does anyone one know what causes this/how to fix it? Has anyone else had this problem? After using houdini for a while, when you middle mouse click a node or click the “i” icon, I get this error instead of the node info. Its happens to me on linux, on windows, and on windows through steam houdini. The only thing I can do is close houdini and re-open it. Wasn't sure if this is a bug and should report or is there something I am missing?

Attachments:
nodeerror.gif (615.7 KB)

Thanks,

Evan
219 posts
I reported this to sidefx since I didn't know how to recreate it they said they couldn't do anything. I still have the same problem, I have to close houdini 10 times every day because it stops working. I really need a fix.
Thanks,

Evan
5 posts
I suggest you check to see if this problem occurs in Houdini Console 'WindowsError: Error 234'.

If this problem arises, then you can refer to this article:
https://stdworkflow.com/278/houdini-error-when-viewing-node-properties-windowserror-error-234-c-users-admin [stdworkflow.com]

Hope you found that helpful
Edited by Jake6 - Aug. 3, 2022 02:21:26
219 posts
still having this issue 3 years later
Edited by evanrudefx - Jan. 8, 2024 11:58:17

Attachments:
node_info.PNG (15.2 KB)

Thanks,

Evan
219 posts
I found out what causes the issue

If you open houdini, then open a new houdini floating panel and create a new node then show the node info then delete that window, the node info stops working

Attachments:
node_info.gif (10.3 MB)

Thanks,

Evan
7709 posts
Please log a bug into support with the written steps to reproduce as well as your GIF so that the developers can fix it.
219 posts
Yep, I did that : ) thanks
Thanks,

Evan
2 posts
Hello. I had the same problem! There is a solution in my case. Maybe it will help you.

In Houdini settings, on the Network Editor, Nodes, and Trees tab, you need to turn off Node Info Windows Close When Losing Focus if it is enabled.
Edited by H-mech - March 28, 2024 16:10:01

Attachments:
pref.JPG (52.8 KB)

219 posts
H-mech
Hello. I had the same problem! There is a solution in my case. Maybe it will help you.

In Houdini settings, on the Network Editor, Nodes, and Trees tab, you need to turn off Node Info Windows Close When Losing Focus if it is enabled.

Image Not Found
Thanks, that is good to know. Sidefx logged it as a bug, but it still isnt fixed. I will definitely do this for now.
Thanks,

Evan
2 posts
At least I got a lot more time of normal operation without rebooting.
Unfortunately, I found out another point where even turning this mode off doesn't help and the error comes back.
This happens when rebooting the current desktop

Attachments:
error.JPG (36.5 KB)

• Quick Links