Landscape UV Coordinates

2461   2   1
22 posts
I'm using Houdini engine to load my heightfield in Unreal as a landscape. I also have some geometry right next to the heightfield that needs to seamlessly blend in with the heightfield so the UVs need to line up.
In houdini this is easy since the heightfield uvs are unitized but I can't figure out how the UVs are generated for the landscape in Unreal. It seems to be based on the heightfield dimensions and grid spacing but doesn't seem very consistent..
could someone enlighten me on how the landscape uvs are generated through the Houdini engine so I can procedurally transform the UVs on my geometry so they line up with my landscape in Unreal?
54 posts
Hi mike,

I think UVs for landscape are basically worldspace XY coordinates. Easiest will be to generate custom UVs base on XY position on your landscape and do the same for your geometry. That will allow you to blend them seamlessly
22 posts
Hi Hektor, yea thats what I did in the end. The trouble was the geometry was actually an RBD sim so I couldn't use world space as the UVs would swim. I ended up using the Pre Skinned Local Position which effectively acts like a rest position. Then I just needed one material instance for my landscape and one for my geo so I could switch between world position and pre-skinned position.. bit of a pain but it works..
  • Quick Links