houdini -> unity -> webgl

1858   2   2
6 posts
I have a question:
What is the best approach of exporting a procedural houdini asset to webgl?
Can I use the houdini engine unity plugin an export to webgl and manipulate attributes in the houdini asset with javascript on runtime?
Does the unity houdini engine even supports runtime generation of a change in the asset?

Any tip would be appreciated!
4 posts
While I can't answer specifically to WebGL, nothing can happen at runtime with the Houdini Engine plugin. It all happens at design/editor time for any HDA manipulations and generation. So to that end, have the HDAs do their thing and become baked assets in your project, then package for WebGL as normal.

I've only heard theories of running Houdini in a server instance, and having that pipe into your runtime project to do those types of runtime manipulations. But I've never heard of anyone actually making that happen, or if it's even possible let alone part of the licensing model.

- Jeff
Staff
175 posts
With 18.5 we released hou.webServer an embedded web server [www.sidefx.com] written in c++. As Jeff mentioned you could try running a houdini server and make api calls into that if you wanted something more runtime.

Cheers,
Matt Warner
Software Developer - Licensing
SideFX
  • Quick Links