uv pelt question

9237   10   2
313 posts
hi there,

I just made a 3D human head with Houdini. I tried to use UVpelt to unwrap my UV.
But, the problem that I have is the eye and the mouth are circle in shapes. How can I solve this problem in Houdini. the attached image show the Unwrap which was done in Modo. (I downloaded this image from the net) Is it possible to have Houdini UVpelt working like this one?

Please help!

QuickUnwrap.jpg was done in Modo
headModelling02.jpg was done in Houdini. (noitce that the eyes and mouth are circle in shapes)

Attachments:
QuickUnwrap.jpg (144.9 KB)
headModelling02.jpg (203.0 KB)

2199 posts
Have you tried adding a polygon into the eyes so that they are closed and have no open edges? Just use a divide sop with remove shared edges turned on to extract the openings then reverse the prim normals with a reverse sop and merge the eye polys back in with the orginal mesh, and fuse it all. Then do the pelt. You can always delete them again afterwards to finish off.

I'm just guessing here, I haven't tried it….. but it might do the trick.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
313 posts
thank you for your advice! Simon!
I will try that!
289 posts
Simon
Have you tried adding a polygon into the eyes so that they are closed and have no open edges? Just use a divide sop with remove shared edges turned on to extract the openings then reverse the prim normals with a reverse sop and merge the eye polys back in with the orginal mesh, and fuse it all. Then do the pelt. You can always delete them again afterwards to finish off.

I'm just guessing here, I haven't tried it….. but it might do the trick.
A computer is almost human - except that it does not blame its mistakes on another computer.
313 posts
Simon,

It works! But the result is not as nice as modo. However thank you for your suggestion!

bruce

Simon wrote:
1145 posts
I'd use a combination of uvpelts and visibility sops. Use one uvpelt to unwrap the head, excluding the ears; followed by a visibility sop to control the visibility of the head, both 2d and 3d.
With the head invisible it is easier to pick the ears, these become a second uvgroup. Turn on the “Create Output Group” and give your maps names.

As well, in case you don't know this. If you RMB on a uvpelt node you can save out the uvmap as an image, for later import into your favourite paint program.

You can use the uvmap group names to assign shaders in a shader sop.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
2624 posts
So are we saying its better to break up the geometry first then apply a combination of Pelt SOP's to the parts.you mention that by right clicking on the uV pelt node you can output a map for texturing thats all well and good but what about the rest of the projections in UV space ? you want 1 map with all your projections fitting in 0 -1 space for painting. So just how are you suppossed to this ?

R
Gone fishing
1145 posts
They are all in the same 0-1 uv space, using visibility sops just (thus the name) controls their visibility.
If you provide group names to your uv's then paint programs like Deeppaint and Bodypaint will recognize the names.
You can confirm this as you establish your uvpelts by MMB on the node. The group names you provide will be listed.
1145 posts
a simple example.

Attachments:
simple_group_names.png (75.3 KB)

2624 posts
Thanks for the answers , Im about to have a crack at this with a head. Just to see if I can figure out some decent workflow for UV mapping …

r
Gone fishing
2199 posts
I've started work on an unwrap tool that uses LSCM like blender and Roadkill, maybe similar to this modo tool as well…

http://www.houdinitools.com/HT_HDK_UVunwrapLSCM.html [houdinitools.com]

Its a work in progress at the moment but initial result are encouraging…

Compiled for Windows H8.2.13 at the moment, H9 compiles will follow once the builds start to settle down.

Attachments:
unwrap.jpg (146.7 KB)

The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
  • Quick Links