How to remove leftover edge after dissolve flat edges?

2819   4   1
42 posts
Hi, I'm trying to remove flat edges and the labs tool does that job quite nicely. However I am left with this one connecting edge that I can't get rid of I tried just doing the steps in the labs tool manually and of course got the exact same result. Eventually it gets to a bevel where I blast the inner faces away and am left with the edge shell, but by that point I could do without that edge being there.

Anyone got any ideas of some workaround of a better way to do it? I like using the bevel as it has the nice feature of stopping the bevel when edges hit each other and deals nicely with the corners.

Edited by Aten - Feb. 15, 2021 15:55:14

Attachments:
01.JPG (32.1 KB)
02.JPG (28.2 KB)
03.JPG (59.1 KB)

474 posts
Hi,

You can group the edges, you want to bevel. Just use the group node (edge type), deactivate base group, activate include by edges, and turn max edge angle small (< 5). In the bevel node you can select this group in the group field and write "!" before, to get the complement.
42 posts
Oh man, it's really that simple? It works a treat though, I owe you a beer after lockdown

Edited by Aten - Feb. 15, 2021 19:22:53

Attachments:
04.JPG (33.5 KB)

679 posts
Hey Aten,

you can also modify the Labs dissolve_flat_edges node. Unlock it and dive inside it. On the dissolve node change the "bridge" dropdown from "create bridged polygons" to "create disjoint polygons".

Cheers
CYTE
42 posts
Thanks mate, that works better in some cases too! I also just found a node in Labs that does almost the same thing, so I'm going to take a look how that does it too - 'labs rdb edge strip' - guess I didn't look in there hard enough when I started this thing
  • Quick Links