[LOP instancer] Crashing on Point Attributes to Copy

2917   4   2
2 posts
I've tried to follow along with the tutorial of Solaris https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqE4HYFDbGk [www.youtube.com]
on Houdini's YouTube Channel.
The material's base colour was bind by a point attribute from sop import.
then at the instancer(Instance to point LOP), I used a randomise attribute to assign instance point
a attribute with the same name of the bind.
Then, every time I tried to put this name under `Point Attributes to Copy` field, houdini crashes.
Any clues?

(File attached, try put 'leaves' in `Point Attributes to Copy`. it will crash)
Houdini version: 18.5.351 Apprentice

Attachments:
lop_test.hipnc (1.5 MB)

Staff
451 posts
Thanks for that report. I can reproduce the crash you mention in older versions of 18.5, but it doesn't seem to happen in the latest
production build (18.5.462). Are you able to upgrade and try again?
51 posts
Doesn't crash for me in 19.0.431, the attribute is there on the Source Primitive, but I cannot find a way to successfully have it on the instances.
Even using primvar displayColor won't color instances.
Any pointers to get it working greatly appreciated.
Staff
451 posts
Hi Graham,

Assuming you're working with the hipnc from the start of this thread, one issue I notice is that the "leaves" primvar is both on the PointInstancer and the mesh. The latter is because it's specified in SOPs to a constant green colour. If you disable the SOP-level assignment then only the instancer assignment will be picked up.

- Rob

Attachments:
lop_test_sidefx.hipnc (600.6 KB)
trees.png (1.2 MB)

51 posts
Hey thanks Rob, yeah got it for CPU Karma, makes sense.
Also made me realize why I couldn't get the instancer working with XPU going back and using SOP indexes. That works for me now too.
Thanks so much for your help and the file!!
  • Quick Links