Deform HairGen by new guides...

1806   3   0
79 posts
So we have this groom that was done using just a few guide curves (let's say 100 guide curves that generates 10000 hair strands for rendering). Now we want to simulate these guide curves, but we realize that there aren't enough guides to make an accurate simulation. Simulating the full hairGen is just overkill, so what we would like to do is be able to adjust the number of guide curves to our needs (let's say 1000 guides), simulate these new guides and have these new guides deform the old hairGen. Generating the new guides is not a problem, but it's using these new guides to drive the hairGen that is causing us issues. When we use more guides, it changes the number of curves generated by the hairGen since the influence radius value becomes too big and even if we adjust that value, we still can't quite get back our original groom generated by the original hairGen.

So my question is this: Is there a way to deform the old hairGen groom using new guide curves? Is there an equivalent of a pointdeform sop that would advect these old curves by these new guides? Is there already a solution that exists for this type of scenario or should I create my own vex code to do this myself?
128 posts
We have same task. Better to say - how to generate hierarchical guides animation? We have simplified set of guides, which drives another set of guides - till final hairgen - or not, if you've import already generated strands set.

Thank you.
Edited by JOEMI - Aug. 19, 2021 02:02:36
Anything that flies
8584 posts
MathieuLeclaire
So my question is this: Is there a way to deform the old hairGen groom using new guide curves? Is there an equivalent of a pointdeform sop that would advect these old curves by these new guides?
Have you tried Guide Deform SOP?
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
128 posts
Yes, we figure with it more precisely, but it is really artful task to prepare good set of controlling guides. We decided try to combine dynamic-driven with skin-driven set where it may be needed. Most working is dedicated to make more automation, than technical issues. Hoping, it work much more robust, than yeti
Anything that flies
  • Quick Links