Landscape Component Subsections

3582   2   1
16 posts
How can I control the number of component subsections that are on the landscape generated by Houdini?

I made a landscape in Unreal with 4x4 components, 1x1 section per component and 63x63 quads per section (overall resolution 253x253) and I would like to generate a landscape in Houdini with the same settings. In Houdini I can only control the Grid Samples which I set to 253. The resulting landscape has the same overall resolution, but only 2x2 components and each component has 2x2 sections. I could live with the component count (by splitting the landscape into more tiles probably) but the 2x2 subsections means 4x the draw calls, which is a problem for the large landscape I'm trying to create.

I've tried manually resampling the generated landscape, but it didn't work. If I resample the temporary landscape generated by Houdini, then it doesn't get baked into the streaming proxies for the world composition setup that I'm trying to test. And when I try resampling the baked landscape it gets pulled out of the individual levels and merged into one landscape, breaking the world composition setup.

Any advice here? Ideally it would be possible to control both the component and the subsection count. Thanks.

Attachments:
Screenshot_2021-04-29-18-36-46.jpg (839.1 KB)

25 posts
Hi!

I have RFEd this, ID# 112204

For the landscape sizes I have played with, mostly in the 2k-4k resolution range, I'm pretty sure I have always gotten the same configuration as in Unreal. Different combinations tend to end up having a slightly different overall resolution, and the logic in the plugin seems to usually end up dividing the resolution into components the same way as Unreal. Looks like not always though

I've been looking at just the overall component count though, balancing culling vs draw calls...
16 posts
In the end as a workaround I exported the heightmaps as textures and used the "Import Tiled Heightmap" dialog in UE4 as that let's you set the exact parameters (see attached)

This is similar to a Worldmachine workflow:
https://www.ue4community.wiki/legacy/world-machine-to-unreal-engine-4-in-depth-guide-537ukcye [www.ue4community.wiki]

But comes with it's own issues, like figuring the correct scale of the terrain in Unreal to match the heightmap values. Some of it is explained in Epic's technical guide:
https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/BuildingWorlds/Landscape/TechnicalGuide/index.html#calculatingheightmapdimensions [docs.unrealengine.com]

However the heightfield export Labs tool clips any values between -256 and +256, so I had to adjust that as well. And there's no easy way to reimport the tiled heightmaps in UE4 if you make changes.

A Houdini Engine solution is much more flexible, if only we could set the exact component subsection and other landscape size values

Attachments:
Screenshot_2021-05-10-15-17-51.png (33.9 KB)

• Quick Links