Render with exported Black levels in Houdini Solaris

1061   3   0
2 posts
Hi, I’m looking to import black level information from nuke into Houdini to render with in Solaris.
Can you give me any ideas where to start with this?

Many thanks
238 posts
Why would you ever want to do this? The render output should not be clipped at all.
Match the black levels of your render to what your black level/white point is in Nuke.
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
2 posts
Hi, I'm not planning on rendering out the final image with the adjustments on. I want to bring in the black levels to check that the render doesn't have any issues when the blacks are adjusted. We have a lot of night time shots and it is easy to get crunchy blacks if this isn't done correctly. Also this is part of the pipeline at other studios. Thanks.
Any ideas how to bring them in would be great.
238 posts
Not at the studios I've worked in. Night time shots, you generally would be rendering over lighted, and then grading down, that
alleviates sampling issues compared to setting up renders to be dark. The crunch, is just noise from undersampling darker areas.

As far as bringing something like that in, wouldn't you just be using a LUT? That you guys publish, that when loaded in to the
render view, would shift the levels, and allow to see it?
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
  • Quick Links