Trouble saving HDAs inside Unreal

3195   5   1
3 posts
I am having trouble saving HDAs inside unreal.

Can't save ../../../../../../Houdini Learning/Test/Test.umap: Graph is linked to private object(s) in an external package.
External Object(s):

name_subnet1_5_8_6_0_0_8_6_0_0_main_geo_FFA29F4D
Try to find the chain of references to that object (may take some time)?

At first I thought maybe I was using an absolute reference somewhere, but I double checked and it doesn't seem to be the case.

So as a test, I then created a very simple HDA: Box>transform>output and took that into Houdini. Same issue.

As a third test, I downloaded Simon Verstraete's GameJam_Rock HDA(which is awesome btw) and had put it in a clean project. Same issue.

The HDA's can sit in the content browser, but once they are in the scene they do not want to save (unless I bake them).

Using H18.5.440 with UE4.26 & 25

Any ideas of things to try? Has anyone else ran into a similar situation?

Any pointers are much appreciated
3 posts
Issue resolved:

Just a follow up in case anyone runs into this. I understand its a bit of an odd one.

If your studio/machine has restrictive saving/installing permissions this can get in the way. Reinstalling to a different directory, in my case, resolved the issue.
1 posts
I'm having the same issue! Did you move your Unreal Installation, Houdini or just your game project?
3 posts
I moved my unreal installation. In my case, to my documents.
6 posts
Bumping this one ...any other solution besides moving the entire project to a different location? We're tied to a perforce setup so that's not a trivial thing.
Edited by Bjorn_Darewise - July 1, 2021 04:45:47

Attachments:
0.png (29.5 KB)

6 posts
*bump*
Any takers?
  • Quick Links