[New User] Point position not working as expected

1127   4   0
13 posts
Hello all,
I was following Kenny Lammer's bridge tutorial and halfway through he copies one of the attr-wrangle sop to be apply the manipulation (drooping) on different a group of points. I tried the same thing and for some reason, the second wrangle isn't taking the position of the points as it did initially.
Have attached a temporary scene and images explaining as to what I am expecting. I am not able to figure out where I am going wrong and why did it work for Kenny without him doing anything different from mine.

Thank you for any help this way.
-G

Attachments:
01_houdini_points.jpg (544.1 KB)
02_houdini_points.jpg (464.7 KB)
droop_issue.hip (162.6 KB)

685 posts
Hey govindk,

you are setting new P.y values in your wrangle and you're doing it on both wrangles in the exact same way. So naturally, the resulting Y Positions are the same. If you want to add the new Y Values to the existing ones use P.y += .... instead of P.y = ...

Cheers
CYTE
13 posts
CYTE, thank you for the reply. Apologies, maybe I wasn't clear in my description, shouldn't the AWrangle sop take the position of the points from 1st input? I am not trying to manipulate the position of the same wire, the points of the blue wire are at bottom and the red is on the top (split using a blast node). What's confusing is why is the bottom point's position jumping back to top. I am sure it's some mistake I doing, but I am unable to figure out what.
Also, I did try @P.y += but that didn't change anything.

Thank you,
-G

Attachments:
pointConfusion_03.jpg (690.2 KB)

685 posts
Hey govindk,

The thing is it doesn`t matter what P.y values go in the wrangle node if you overwrite them with this expression "P.y = whatever".
You are creating new Position values for the Y-Axis. Ok. So the red one appears to respect its old values but this is just a coincidence. The Y values were "P.y = 1" when they entered the wrangle. You created new values and the start and endpoints are again 1 because that's the range of the ramp you are using. For the blue, you get the same values but with incoming values of P.y = 0.
But these values don't matter because you overwrite them.

The solution I offered using "P.y += " would Offset the Red wire.

I could fix it for you, but I think it's better to understand what you are doing and figure it out by yourself.

Cheers
CYTE
Edited by CYTE - July 27, 2021 10:26:43
13 posts
CYTE
Hey govindk,

The thing is it doesn`t matter what P.y values go in the wrangle node if you overwrite them with this expression "P.y = whatever".
You are creating new Position values for the Y-Axis. Ok. So the red one appears to respect its old values but this is just a coincidence. The Y values were "P.y = 1" when they entered the wrangle. You created new values and the start and endpoints are again 1 because that's the range of the ramp you are using. For the blue, you get the same values but with incoming values of P.y = 0.
But these values don't matter because you overwrite them.

The solution I offered using "P.y += " would Offset the Red wire.

I could fix it for you, but I think it's better to understand what you are doing and figure it out by yourself.

Cheers
CYTE

Ahhh!! How naive of me, how did I miss that. I totally see your point now. And yes, it did fix it
However, I had to do @P.y -= to droop it. But I see the logic error in my thought process, I did not realize the ramp would remap the value of the point position.
Thank you so much CYTE, appreciate your time.
Edited by govindk - July 28, 2021 09:12:57
  • Quick Links