Animated object falls in Flip Tank even after Feedback.

1301   3   1
2 posts
Hey! I animated a Ship on its Y- axis(upwards) and imported it into Houdini for its Flip Tank sim.

My Idea was to make the ship rise from the water and fly off.. but when it rises.. it falls back into the water again :/
I searched a bit and found out bout Feedback scale in Flipsolver Node in DOP, but when I set that it breaks my model in to pieces and just keeps falling. Tried Velocity and ship goes crazy lol.

Would appreciate if sm1 could help me out with this.. also I'm new to Houdini

Image Not Found

I made the model a RBD Hero like in some Tutorial videos, set the velocity to 20 as well. Bandwidth at 2 cuz my pc cant handle more than that. Trying to keep it simple and awesome.

Thanks

Attachments:
Ship rising.hipnc (2.9 MB)

86 posts
Hi.

I checked your scene and the ship is doing what it is supposed to do with the Velocity. After a while gravity takes over and it starts to fall back down.

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve but wouldn't it be better to hand animate the ship then make it a static collision? Will give you much better control and VDB collisions will help you with the splashes. Your model also won't break into pieces that way.
2 posts
Well.. I dont quite get what u mean by Hand Animate.. But i did Manually Animate this in Maya and then imported here in Houdini.
Or are u telling me to place the fluid tank in position and then import the object and try animating with velocity and feedback??.. Like I said.. I'm new to this software.. but love the quality it gives :/
Edited by aasam247 - July 29, 2021 11:59:16
86 posts
I checked your scene again and the ship moves upwards because there is 20 velocity on your RBD objects. By hand animate I mean putting a transform after the ship and keyframing it, just like you said you did in Maya. The animation you did inside Maya is not working in the RBD objects.

Check out the hipnc I attached. I brought your ship pieces into a geo, turned it into a VDB and then made it a deforming object inside the Flip sim. That way the animation you did inside Maya is there. And VDB collisions will give you a better result. And no more moving/breaking pieces!

Maybe give this video a try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpcf-Ayvj78 [www.youtube.com]

I didn't watch it but heard that it helps a lot with these kind of simulations.

Attachments:
Ship rising VDB Collisions.hipnc (2.8 MB)

• Quick Links