RBD objects appear to have no inertia

951   3   0
7 posts
I was following along with a tutorial on some destruction. In this scene, I have an RBD cube with a lot of force hitting a fractured object with constraints. Everything was going well until I hit a weird problem when I tried to simulate. inside of the dopnet whenever the cube hits the fractured object it doesn't seem to transfer any force to the fractured object, it just immediately bounces off rather than crashing through it. The constraints break, but the fractured pieces don't fly in the direction they are hit, they just fall straight down. It almost seems like the cube has zero inertia. no matter how much I increase the force or mess with the density of either object, the result is the same. I started a new file with a much more basic setup to see if I just missed something but I'm having the same problem, it just seems like my simulations don't work the way other people's do. Here's the original I was working on, I'm at a loss here.
Edited by AcidZack - Aug. 23, 2021 21:42:51

Attachments:
scaffolding destruction.hipnc (395.9 KB)

131 posts
Hey there, your file is unusable because the imported OBJ file is not available (local reference to F:/). Please provide the file if possible, or use proxy geometry in Houdini.
7 posts
my appologies! here you go.

Attachments:
scaffolding_prepped_b.obj (5.2 MB)

731 posts
The z velocity on the cube is way too high. Turn it down to 200 instead of 2000 and it works. If you really need/want 2000 then turn substeps up to 3 or more. I think that the geo is moving so fast that Bullet doesn't see the collision w/o substeps up the ying-yang.
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
  • Quick Links