Hacking .env file to accept 3rd party plugins

4562   8   2
67 posts
I really don't understand why in 2021 we still have to hack Houdini literally in order to use plugins. It's so frustrating and I hope SideFX figures this issue out.
So I have Redshift installed and I already hacked it in so it's working properly, but now I want to try Arnold renderer and even with all the online tutorials and installation guide it's still not showing up in Houdini. I also installed appropriate version with .py3. Any ideas on how to hack more than 1 3rd party plugin in Houdini ? Thank you
Here's my . env file. H

# Example:
#
# HOUDINI_NO_SPLASH = 1

HOUDINI_DSO_ERROR = 2

PATH = "$PATH;C:/ProgramData/Redshift/bin"
HOUDINI_PATH = "C:/ProgramData/Redshift/Plugins/Houdini/18.5.596;&"
44 posts
you should check out packages. this way you can have separate json files for each of your plugins. Also you can filter them easily based on the supported daily builds for example.

As far as i know there is a known issue loading Arnold and Renderman together due to the fact that they should both be first in the HOUDINI_PATH environment variable, but Arnold and Redshift should work just fine.
Edited by frostfx - Aug. 25, 2021 17:07:39
67 posts
frostfx
you should check out packages. this way you can have separate json files for each of your plugins. Also you can filter them easily based on the supported daily builds for example.

As far as i know there is a known issue loading Arnold and Renderman together due to the fact that they should both be first in the HOUDINI_PATH environment variable, but Arnold and Redshift should work just fine.

Thank you for your insight. I've herd of packages but after researching I was still confused as of how it should work.
I am sure someone who understands coding could hack their way in but that's why I am saying SideFX got to get on top of this because it's so weird like who would wanna do this every time they jut wanna try a trial of a new render engine. We don't need new nodes we need basic stuff to work like this. I will look into packages but last time I looked it was even more complicated than hacking . env file. Side FX my dudes...come on, get this fixed. Installation process in Houdini is abomination. It's really unacceptable for a company that prides themselves with proceduralism to have you have to go in and hack it by hand every time.
Edited by Nikodim Fomich - Aug. 26, 2021 20:27:10
833 posts
I did a tutorial on Packages a while back, maybe it helps you. My tutorial was based on Henry's excellent blog post about Packages: https://www.toadstorm.com/blog/?p=722 [www.toadstorm.com]

>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
67 posts
@Kays Hey man thank you. I actually watched your videos and one of them was about hacking .env file. I tried to do it your way and I am not sure if it's due to the fact I use Windows and your paths were shown on Mac but it didn't work for me. I really tried to be organized and I only have Redshift installed but I was gonna add Arnold now. It got to the point where I have folder with .env files so one .env makes Redshift work and other makes Arnold work. So each .env file has only that specific installation in it. I put them in Houdini folder upon startup and that's the only way to use different plugins because as you said houdini only wants to see one Houdini_Path so how can you have more than one thing. When I tried your system for some reason it was resulting in error. I will try to watch your videos to see if I can make any sese of that package idea but just watching few package videos to me it seems like even worse idea (if that's even possible) than hacking and coding .env file. If we ever get Houdini 19 this whole .env file thing gotta go.
8621 posts
Nikodim Fomich
. If we ever get Houdini 19 this whole .env file thing gotta go.
The env file shouldn't be required if plugin installs package for you
So if plugin developer still decides to require meddling with .env file instead of using packages without requiring user to interfere it's not necessarily a problem with sidefx as they provided package system already

Maybe you can also check on redshift and Arnold forums to see the reason for not using the packages if that's the case
Edited by tamte - Aug. 26, 2021 20:41:26
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
833 posts
Nikodim Fomich
If we ever get Houdini 19 this whole .env file thing gotta go.

I feel your pain, however I do have to say that the complexity is partially the fault of the developers who, for some reason, refuse to adopt an automatic method for installation. MOPs, 3Delight, Modeler, SideFX LABS, Axiom Solver are examples of installers that do all the work for you and require absolutely no user interaction, or at the most only require the user to drag and drop the .json package file into the Packages folder.

It is beyond me why Redshift devs can't seem to get their stuff together and make installation of their software as painless as other developers have figured out. The only reason that I can think of is either laziness on their part, or the fact that Maxon owns them and they have very little motivation for making the process for Houdini users any easier. I suppose the same is true for Arnold which, as I understand, really doesn't play nice with others.
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
67 posts
Midphase
Nikodim Fomich
If we ever get Houdini 19 this whole .env file thing gotta go.

I feel your pain, however I do have to say that the complexity is partially the fault of the developers who, for some reason, refuse to adopt an automatic method for installation. MOPs, 3Delight, Modeler, SideFX LABS, Axiom Solver are examples of installers that do all the work for you and require absolutely no user interaction, or at the most only require the user to drag and drop the .json package file into the Packages folder.

It is beyond me why Redshift devs can't seem to get their stuff together and make installation of their software as painless as other developers have figured out. The only reason that I can think of is either laziness on their part, or the fact that Maxon owns them and they have very little motivation for making the process for Houdini users any easier. I suppose the same is true for Arnold which, as I understand, really doesn't play nice with others.

You're right Kay. However I am not sur if it's SideFX or third party companies who need to as you say not be "lazy" about that.
Honestly I would rather spend an hour learning new node or method than how to get all the lines of code right in .env file I am sure I am not the only one either. But anyway thank you much much for this video. Helped me learn more about .json files and get some stuff installed Thank you.
359 posts
That same post I wrote that Kays linked to above (https://www.toadstorm.com/blog/?p=722 [www.toadstorm.com]) shows how to write an example Redshift package. I just use that package and don't even bother using Redshift installers anymore... just download the no-install .zip file and update the package to point to the correct paths. Much simpler this way. Once you have the package file defined you pretty much never have to worry about it again aside from updating the install path.
Edited by toadstorm - Aug. 29, 2021 17:41:23
MOPs (Motion Operators for Houdini): http://www.motionoperators.com [www.motionoperators.com]
  • Quick Links