Game Tools | Maps Baker

40460   64   9
197 posts
AnikoMesterhazyRenner
Hi All

Does the map baker support multimple materials on the source object by any chance? I have a ground plane with lots of rocks on top and each roch has different materials. I wanted to bake all into a one texture set , but the result was broken.

Any ideas how to make it work ?

Cheers
Karoly

Hi,

That is definitely supported. How did you set up your scene?
You could look at the example files on Github for reference. https://github.com/sideeffects/SideFXLabs/tree/Development/hip [github.com]
Paul Ambrosiussen
Technical Artist, Freelance
twitter.com/ambrosiussen_p
2 posts
Thanks for the fast reply Paul !

I have used the quickmaterial node to create all the materials what I needed ,and its not in the chain. I use this just to generate the matnet and the shaders. The material linking is happening with an attributecreate node with using the shop_materialpath attribute and a randomizer. After all my model parts have a random material I merge them together and generating a low poly version. The low poly version is one shell only. I use the maps baker after that. the texture source is the high poly one coming from the merge directly. In render all looks fine , just the baking is not working for some reason.
If you could help me that would be amazing !
Thanks for the demo files , I`ll have a look

Edit : my bad IT WORKS !

Karoly
Edited by AnikoMesterhazyRenner - Nov. 3, 2020 13:55:26
2 posts
Hey, I don't know if anyone else is running into this, I've been searching for anyone with a similar issue but haven't found anything.

I'm trying to make some tiling textures with the maps baker and I've been getting errors along the upper and right side edges when trying to bake floating meshes to a flat quad.

This is the bake result:

and this is the setup I have:

I have everything setup with basically default settings except I turned up the max trace range.

I was wondering if this was a setup error on my end and if I could fix it or if it was something in the baker that was causing it to sample outside the quad's dimensions and result in the artifacts along the top right edges.

I really love the node though and hope I can get these issues sorted!
Edited by kvick - Nov. 13, 2020 01:15:10
2 posts
small bump for the issue if anyone knows a fix, I linked the images wrong when I originally posted, they're fixed now
197 posts
Hey,

That looks like it has something to do with UVs. Double check you don't have any weird unexpected overlaps in your low poly UVs, and to be sure also update Labs to the latest version, and drop down a new instance of the baker.

If that's not it, please send that file to support and I'll take a look for you.
Paul Ambrosiussen
1 posts
Hi all,

What would be the best way to produce an 8k and a 4k map when using the Labs Map Baker?

I'm trying to cut down on the pipeline time, so I was hoping to be able to generate an 8k map, then just copy that, rename and resize to 4k somehow (probably using a python node for the file ops)

Or does Houdini have a better way of just kicking out separate bake maps at a different resolution without going through the bake process again?

Thanks for any pointers.
60 posts
Hey all.

I'm trying to do named baking similar to how substance does it. I can't seem to find a solution for this in houdini. It's simple enough to bake objects separately, but how to procedurally recombine those maps into one texture is where I'm getting stuck. Is this already supported? If not, how could I implement this?
197 posts
jpikcells
Hi all,

What would be the best way to produce an 8k and a 4k map when using the Labs Map Baker?

I'm trying to cut down on the pipeline time, so I was hoping to be able to generate an 8k map, then just copy that, rename and resize to 4k somehow (probably using a python node for the file ops)

Or does Houdini have a better way of just kicking out separate bake maps at a different resolution without going through the bake process again?

Thanks for any pointers.

Hey! Welcome to the forum.
The MapsBaker is all done in COPs (try diving inside and you will find a cop2net1 node called all_bakes). Go in there, and you will see all the rops at the bottom that export the maps. You could attach something in the scripts tab, which gets triggered post cook. I would recommend just having it import you maps with a file node, run it through a resize cop and then export.
Paul Ambrosiussen
197 posts
ndasilva
Hey all.

I'm trying to do named baking similar to how substance does it. I can't seem to find a solution for this in houdini. It's simple enough to bake objects separately, but how to procedurally recombine those maps into one texture is where I'm getting stuck. Is this already supported? If not, how could I implement this?

Step 1 would be to file an RFE

If you want to do this yourself, the best way is to not bake once per named piece.. But modify all the tracing code inside the network to use a group string. That way youll only hit pieces you need, and only render one map
Paul Ambrosiussen
60 posts
Ambrosiussen
ndasilva
Hey all.

If you want to do this yourself, the best way is to not bake once per named piece.. But modify all the tracing code inside the network to use a group string. That way youll only hit pieces you need, and only render one map

Hi Paul

Thanks! I've been playing around with it today, and had some partial luck but it's not “clean” if I can put it that way I did go ahead and submit an RFE.

Thanks!
60 posts
Ambrosiussen
ndasilva
Hey all.

Hi Paul

Any chance you could explain a little further how that group string would work? I'm not familiar with cops so this is a good learning opportunity for me.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
197 posts
@ndasilva

Inside the baker you indeed find a copnet, but the actual logic just happens in VEX. And in there youll find several tracing functions I use to actually do the baking. And those functions all take a “group” parameter (group string).

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/vex/functions/intersect.html [www.sidefx.com]

So you could use ad-hoc group creation as the argument to solve this problem. Eg “@name=piece1”.
Paul Ambrosiussen
60 posts
Ambrosiussen
@ndasilva

Inside the baker you indeed find a copnet, but the actual logic just happens in VEX. And in there youll find several tracing functions I use to actually do the baking. And those functions all take a “group” parameter (group string).

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/vex/functions/intersect.html [www.sidefx.com]

So you could use ad-hoc group creation as the argument to solve this problem. Eg “@name=piece1”.

Thanks, that was super helpful. I'm still stuck on one part. If you look at my screen shot, you'll see I'm defining a string group currently with an integer of 8. When I change that integer I can see the map updating correctly to only account for that group number. How do I replace that integer with the value of the mesh at the sampled position? I tried doing a uvsample, but I don't know how to use that in the string group.

Thanks again for all your help!

Attachments:
Screenshot 2020-12-09 202102.png (66.6 KB)

60 posts
For anyone who is interested. I was able to fix this.

The problem was that the “id” attribute I was sampling earlier in the “tracing” COP was not carrying through the network, even though I had exported it and it was showing. When I instead resampled the attribute inside the “ao” and “thickness” COPs and then used it in the string group, it worked!

Thanks again for the help Paul.
12 posts
Hi,

just wondering if I can use MapBaker as HDAProcessor like this ?

When execute the graph nothing's happened?

Please let me know if my approaching is correct or not.
Thanks
Edited by Trung Tran - July 12, 2021 07:28:20

Attachments:
HDAProcess.jpg (118.3 KB)

385 posts
before the baker i am shifting my uvs because later i want to bake lightmaps.

The uv transform SOP seems to cause problems for the maps_baker. Some bakes turn black others turn out perfect. i am baking the same scattered model so the only thing that changes is the UDIM just before the baker.

Is this a bug or am i missing a step somewhere?

Attachments:
Capture.JPG (72.5 KB)

10 posts
Hi, I have a problem baking maps with the maps baker.

I have a basic test setup with a curvature set to metallic and a texture set to roughness in a principled shader applied to the pighead.

When I use the simple baker, maps are baking just fine.
When I try the maps baker, it outputs blank pink textures.

What makes it even more weird is that if I plug in labs quickmaterial with a texture set to roughness (instead of the material node that refers to the principled shader in the matnet), it bakes. But the same test without a texture assigned leads to the pink texture again.

Attachments:
AnyDesk_Hp0kHMGT0w.png (1.2 MB)
AnyDesk_btqiV4pa6r.png (338.3 KB)
AnyDesk_iPrBd5QRO6.png (707.5 KB)

7 posts
Hey people

I was wondering if there is any
quality difference
between baking maps in ropnet or the labs baker

cheers maarten
Edited by maartennielen - Jan. 26, 2022 07:30:12
2 posts
I'm currently having an issue where if I have the tracing mode set to cage and I plug in my cage geo to input 3 pressing the render button seems to have no effect.

Currently using houdini 19, with the latest release of the sidefx Labs

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (109.4 KB)

2 posts
watchyato
I'm currently having an issue where if I have the tracing mode set to cage and I plug in my cage geo to input 3 pressing the render button seems to have no effect.

Currently using houdini 19, with the latest release of the sidefx Labs

Image Not Found

Just updated to the maps baker 5.0 up from 4.0 and the issue seems to be resolved, thanks!
  • Quick Links