Weird Material Fracture Artifacts

2031   2   0
3 posts
Hello there,

for the project I am currently working on, I have to destroy a wooden pavillon. The .abc file I exported from blender 2.93LTS seems fine until I convert it to polygons. I think there may be a problem with face orientation but I am not sure. When I then append an RBD Material Fracture, some some parts of the model have these weird artifacts, which I assume are the cutting geo used by the fracture node. (see screenshots)
Apparently the files are too big to attach to this post so I uploaded the needed files to wetransfer. The .zip contains a .hip file demonstrating the problem, a .blend file containing the model, the .abc I exported and also a .fbx version I exported.

https://we.tl/t-lvg7J7cXQf [we.tl]

Help would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance <3

Attachments:
screenshot_1.jpg (64.6 KB)
screenshot_2.jpg (31.3 KB)

236 posts
Hi, I had a quick look at this and found the following;

- You have some reversed normals.
- The fracture seems to work better if you have quads instead of triangles.

I've attached a hip file which doesn't fix it completely but points in the right direction;

- You can correct the normals on the reversed geometries by doing it in Blender or by using a Reverse SOP in Houdini. (The latter can probably be done procedurally)
- If you have quads in Blender, try to export as quads. (if not, you can try a dissolve sop)

Note: The base of the model still has a broken area caused by the fracture. However, if you delete everything apart from the base and apply a fracture, it works. This suggests there are still issues with the mesh. (Hence this is not a complete fix)

Rob

Attachments:
pav_fix.jpg (139.9 KB)
pav_4_forumPost_RS.hiplc (576.9 KB)

3 posts
Thanks for the help, that really saved me!
  • Quick Links