shadows are not available with on board graphics hardware

1322   4   0
98 posts
In H19 I cannot turn on shadow casting in the scene viewport.

From my forum searches it seems that on desktops that only have on board graphics
hardware like Intel HD graphics 630, the high quality lighting feature is unavailable.
In the other digital content creation software installed on my desktop(Maya,Unreal,Blender,Sketchup) viewport cast shadows are available.

In the Karma viewport cast shadows are working but the Karma viewport performance is significantly slower than scene viewport
for simulation(like ragdoll) playback.

I was hoping H19 would add support for cast shadows in the scene viewport with my limited graphics hardware. It took me a while to confirm this but the feature is not implemented.

Even when the quality of shadows in the viewport is poor when compared with software rendering they are still very helpful during the early development phase.

There should be a concise statement in the documentation that scene viewport cast shadows are not available for desktops or laptops with only on-board graphics hardware.

I will submit an RFE for this issue.
Your comments to this post would be appreciated.
7814 posts
It's not only about supporting cast shadows, the hardware has to support all of the required hardware features in order to enable high quality lighting mode. Intel hardware has incomplete support and so is restricted.
98 posts
I understand that Intel on board graphics hardware may lack some features but the other applications I mentioned do provide cast shadows on this hardware.
This shows it is possible.
7814 posts
WillA
I understand that Intel on board graphics hardware may lack some features but the other applications I mentioned do provide cast shadows on this hardware.
This shows it is possible.

I'm saying that it's irrelevant what other software can do and whether or not Intel can support 'shadows', which isn't a specific graphics feature. Cascading shadow maps may be supported, however there may be other features that are required that Intel hardware does not support.
98 posts
This topic is about shadows in the scene viewport not "other features that are required that Intel hardware does not support".
For me shadows establish a visual cue that convey a lot of information about the scene content.
Karma or Mantra can generate renders with high fidelity. If I want fast performance for feedback I use the scene viewport.
The other DCC apps confirm cast shadows can be implemented using this hardware.

Clearly you and I are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
  • Quick Links