Aliasing Artificats when converting VDB volume to polygons.

1683   3   0
2 posts
Dear all,

I have an animated/simulated vdb sdf made in which there is a lot of growing and morphing of one shape to the other. Anwyay,I converted it to polygons for rendering purposes. The only problem is that after the conversion to polygons, there is a lot aliasing artifacts happening, especially when I play the simulation in polygon mode. The triangles that make up the mesh are being continously updated during the simulation and I think they are the reason for these artifacts, but I don't know how to solve this issue. I tried smoothing the normals, but it had a very small impact on the quality. I also tried to add a smooth node and re-cached the simulation, but also the results were not that great.

Could anybody help me out with this? I attached a video to demonstrate my problem exactly. Thanks in advance.

685 posts
garrette2010
I tried smoothing the normals, but it had a very small impact on the quality.
mh, maybe you have done it wrong. apply point normals after the conversion and blur them with an attribblur node.
other than that you can decrease the voxel scale.

Cheers
CYTE
900 posts
as I undestand, the issue is that your geometry is changing at each frame, because you are converting to polygon a vdb animation.
So at each frame you are getting a new set of polygons.

Not really sure what is the proper workflow in this case.

I guess Point Deform Sop won't work with vdb?
7809 posts
A VDB is a raster, I'm not sure what you are expecting?
  • Quick Links