Karma error: "Failed to complete render: exit code 139"

4927   6   2
192 posts
Hi,

I get this Karma error after few frames.

Warning
Failed to complete render: exit code 139
Use a Log Viewer with External Render Processes enabled for more information.

How can I get to this Log Viewer the error talks about?

Thanks,
192 posts
I have simplified the render settings to try to debug from what it comes.

Now I only have no Beauty Pass, an N and Albedo pass, and I get the error.
While that same object perfectly renders the whole sequence in a XPU Karma render,

I have logged this as a bug to SideFX,

Attachments:
simple_rendersettings_that_produce_error.hiplc (479.8 KB)
Screenshot 2021-12-18 at 11.11.03.png (438.7 KB)

134 posts
Hey, why are you doing separate renders for your channels. Its probably better to render them all in one go and then split them out later. The AOV's are generally a byproduct of the render, so it doesn't add that much extra time to your render in one go.

Your render times will be so much longer doing it this way.
Just my 2 cents
192 posts
willh
Hey, why are you doing separate renders for your channels.

I did that because I discovered that Karma XPU does not support CryptoMatte, and also the Albedo pass doesn't come out on Karma XPU.
So if I want the benefit of a fast Karma XPU beauty pass, I'll have to do the others on Karma CPU.

I need the N and Albedo pass for for the Intel Denoiser and I also figured a Normal Pass with more pixel samples than the main render might be good.
134 posts
Oh i see, sorry didnt realise you where using xpu for your main bty render. Have you tried a later build?
192 posts
I haven't tried it on the newer builds. But I have searched the Changelogs on "XPU", and did not see any changes or bug fixes regarding CryptoMatte, or the Albedo pass.

I am still struggling with this error. Almost done with the tedious process of restarting the render every 0-6 frames,
BUT unfortunately did not include CryptoMatte. But at least I can denoise now.
Edited by OdFotan - Dec. 30, 2021 12:39:50
2 posts
I realize this is old but in case someone is searching for this problem, I was able to solve mine by setting "maximum threads" to 1. No change in rendering time since I'm using XPU. Very odd but at least I can render my sequences without it stopping every few frames with that error code. Hope it helps someone.

Note: This was an issue in 19.5 and 20. I didn't test if this "fix" worked in 19.5.
Edited by Torbjorn "Tobbe" Olsson - Nov. 15, 2023 07:53:24
  • Quick Links