Scatter rocks on geometry preserving the original shape

1365   2   1
9 posts
Hello guys!
First of all, I'm new here so sorry in advance if this question is too simple

I'm working on an easy cliff generator: you give Houdini a geometry as input, and it outputs a new geometry populated with rocks via a simple random scatter of rocks on the faces of the geometry.

The next thing I've done is scatter rocks, but only on those points where the original geometry doesn't have the normal pointing upwards. This step is easy, since the only thing I have to do is to delete the scatter points that have @N = {0,1,0}, and it actually works like a charm: you get rocks only on those faces where @N != {0,1,0}. But I have a problem: those rocks that are near the faces of @N = {0,1,0} surpass those faces, obtaining some rocks around those regions where I'd like to have only a plain surface.

So the question here is tricky: Is there any way to procedually "adapt" the shape of only those rocks that are near the faces of @N = {0,1,0}?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments:
InputGeometry.PNG (675.6 KB)
OutputGeometry.PNG (915.3 KB)

130 posts
Could you upload a example hip file?
9 posts
Thank you for your insterest. However, in the end I've changed my approach, and instead of using a general geometry as input I'm using curves. Now I have much more control over the geometry dimensions and I've been able to set the rocks sizes correctly.

Thank you anyways!
  • Quick Links