HDA Menu (Switch Node) doesn't work in UE

3169   7   2
3 posts
Switch node not working in UE, works in Houdini though, can anyone explain please?

Attachments:
hda_menu_not_working.mp4 (2.1 MB)
procedural_terrain_blockout_tool.hdalc (52.0 KB)

1 posts
I'm having the same issue! Is there some super secret UE4 thing you have to do in order to get them to work? I have tried multiple variations of the switch for what can only be described as simple geometry. I have a total of 6 nodes to test the "Switch Node". It works fine in Houdini, it's properly hooked up to the HDA UI, I know because I have other nodes that work fine with UI. But in UE4, the switch node just doesn't work. I would love some advice, thanks!

Also, I thought maybe because it wasn't saved in the right directory, but started a brand new HDA placed it in the recommended directory. I didn't include an attachment of it because it's literally 1 box that's split into two directions, "0" side has a single PolyExtrude, and then I have the other side "1" that has two PolyExtrude's, and then both of them lead to a "Switch" node. I made sure to create the HDA, and include a "Toggle" UI element in my control UI for the HDA. I copied the parameter when in position "0" from the "Switch" and then pasted into my toggle. I know something is weird because other nodes and UI connections work fine for scaling the boxes length. It works fine in Houdini, but when I export to UE4, obviously I experience that it won't work.
21 posts
Same here. I'd rather not create an HDA for each one of my outputs. Also I hoped to save cook time by doing it all at once and then switching between them.

So I solved it by having multiple nodes at object level, with object merge nodes in them, referencing each one of my outputs from the my Sop network, which was in one of the nodes.
Then collapsing that to a subnet at object level, and creating a digital asset from that.
I could bake to actors everything at once, static meshes, instanced blueprints, and foliage - using the unreal_foliage attribute, although it didn't appear in the foliage editor, it was just a HISM. This is using UE5 EA by the way.
Edited by wmpcg - Nov. 23, 2021 10:44:33
13 posts
Was there a fix for this issue?

Trying to use a switch node at the SOP level and am not seeing the functionality within UE4 when using the HDA.
25 posts
I used to have weird problems like this, but they have mostly gone away. I think 19.0.393 was one of the biggest improvements, much less strangeness going on after that one.

So in case you are using an older version, get a new one. Github has the freshest produce:
https://github.com/sideeffects/HoudiniEngineForUnreal/commits/Houdini19.0-Unreal5.00 [github.com]
Edited by Eetu_Mainframe - Jan. 21, 2022 05:37:23

Attachments:
393.png (61.0 KB)

13 posts
Eetu_Mainframe
I used to have weird problems like this, but they have mostly gone away. I think 19.0.393 was one of the biggest improvements, much less strangeness going on after that one.

So in case you are using an older version, get a new one. Github has the freshest produce:
https://github.com/sideeffects/HoudiniEngineForUnreal/commits/Houdini19.0-Unreal5.00 [github.com]

Thanks for this! Unfortunately, this didn't solve the issue of the toggle parameters when using a SOP HDA within UE.

I've found another way to work around this, and might be easier for my end setup, by using a HDA a the OBJ level.
Staff
534 posts
The original issue was caused by the display flag not being set properly on the output node.

Previously, the plugin used the display flag and not the output nodes, and as OP's display flag was set before the switch, the switch node was basically ignored.
We've changed that behavior a few months ago, and by default, the plugin now uses the output nodes instead of the display SOP.
This can be changed by using the "Use Output node" checkbox on the HDA.
8 posts
Try changing the if param from an Integer to a Toggle in Type Properties.
  • Quick Links