Time offset for instanced "references" not working (well)

1755   2   1
127 posts
I'm using the instancer node with "reference" option to instance a bunch of animated references (not the "instancable reference" option due to buggy variants and disappearing geo), and need to offset the animations randomly. Cannot figure out a way though.

- The "retime instances"-node does not work if "reference" was selected in the instancer.

- Using a for-each loop with a "time shift"-node works but is extremely slow to use as it evaluates every frame.

- I'm also not able to use "edit property" to change the prototype "frame offset" in the reference node, as there is none in the USD schema.

I feel I am missing something obvious here? Is wrangle the way to go perhaps?
Edited by AndreasWeidman - Feb. 3, 2022 05:32:36
Andreas Weidman
VFX Supervisor - Dupe VFX
www.dupevfx.com
2551 posts
In the past, I have done this by making sure my animated instance was a mesh sequence. Then the task becomes constructing an s@instancefile attribute that references the files on disk. Each point can have its own temporal offset associated with it. Look that up inside the instancer, and construct your per-frame s@instancefile attribute based on that number and the current frame.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
127 posts
Interessting. Thank you.
However, I just discovered that this is a bug with 18.5. "instancable reference" work like a charm in 19 without buggy behavior. Does'nt solve my problem though as the show is using 18.5 so I'll look into it.
Andreas Weidman
VFX Supervisor - Dupe VFX
www.dupevfx.com
  • Quick Links