WHAT KIND OF GRAPHIC CARD HOUDINI NEEDS

5746   5   2
10 posts
MY VIEW PANE ROTATE WELL BUT IF I GO IN SOPS AND MOVE MY GEOMATERY IT MOVES VERY SLOW OR EVEN IN OBJ MODE IT MOVES VER SLOW I ATI 9200 PRO 128 MB RAM HAVE LATEST DRIVER FROM ATI
jabranbaig
senior cg Artist
Staff
5161 posts
That's a bit of an old card, you'll find that any of the newer cards (nvidia especially) work quite well with Houdini. Any of the Nvidia 6x00, 7x00 or 8x00 series will work great.
68 posts
I've seen this before, I'm not sure what the solution is or if there is one for that matter. I installed houdini on a computer with a radeon 9200 once and it was unbelievably slow, but on a lesser 32 mb geforce 2 mx, it was perfectly fine (fast even). Not sure why. I would just get a new card if you need things to work correctly. Geforce 2s start at $17 on pricewatch.com.

And for the record, I'm currently on a $60 geforce 6600 and run 1800 x 1400 with any 3d program with absolutely no slow down.
Staff
5161 posts
I installed houdini on a computer with a radeon 9200 once and it was unbelievably slow, but on a lesser 32 mb geforce 2 mx, it was perfectly fine (fast even). Not sure why

Nvidia has excellent OpenGL drivers. ATI's getting there, though.
33 posts
Looks like your system takes AGP based graphics adapters.
As such -unless you plan to upgrade everything- your best upgrade option is not nVidia but Ati 1950Pro 512MB AGP.
For around 200$ it's a good deal.
237 posts
And remember your houdini keyboard shortcuts are sensitive to the capsLock key so you will need to turn that off before using houdini.
8)
Robert Kelly
  • Quick Links