linux vs windows rendering

2339   1   0
17 posts
When I have read about linux versus windows, always linux fans said that linux is better than windows. But I don't be sure and I want to verify it. Well I have installed in one of my computers Windows XP 64bits and Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 10.1 64bits. I have render the scene "Renderpass Workflow" (it is in the web tutorial files), with the default resolution and the default command render. And the result is that linux is 18% faster than windows (in rendering), at least in my computer and with my configuration. Perharps in other computers… I don't know.

Windows XP64 Professional: 308 seconds
Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 10.1: 261 seconds.

After this test I will never use a version windows of any aplication when a linux version exists.

(My computer have AMD Athlon 3800 X2, 2Gb RAM, nvidia 7800 256Mb, motherboard Gigabyte k8n 9 ultra, etc, etc.)
4140 posts
There are so many variables to consider when comparing different operating systems that I would consider 18% to be almost a negligable difference. However, personally I find all sorts of things faster in Linux as a rule, so your results don't particularly surprise me. Pure number crunching, memory management, server loads - these tend to be where Linux shines.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links