Crowd layer workflow with usd

2612   6   1
13 posts
Hi,

I would like to know how agent layers work when using a usd file as agent input.
Because at the moment if I export an agent with two layers in usd and I read it back as an agent it seems that the layers are not available in the agent edit sop.

Here is a simple file that illustrates my concern, if we look at the Stage level there are well in the shapesLibrary the layers but impossible to reuse them.

Thanks
Edited by papicrunch - March 25, 2022 17:48:17

Attachments:
usd_crowd_test.hip (386.2 KB)

44 posts
in case of the USD input the agent definition gets created from the skelroot primitive. Similar to how the first agent node in your file gets its input from the character rig. The shapelibrary in solaris is autocreated. To use both layers you should create the other one like you have done in your first example.
13 posts
Thank you for your answer,

I feel like I have tested all the possibilities, without success.
Even with a single layer, the agent sop node with an usd in input does not seem to work, it loses the intrisinc:agentlayers and replaces them with default and collision.

I'm not sure if this is a feature or a bug.For the moment I have the impression that I can't use an usd to save my agent definition, at least for the layers.
5 posts
Has there been any development on this issue? I am running into the same problem. Have I overlooked some documentation?
Staff
730 posts
UsdSkel is a schema for describing skinned characters, not for representing an agent definition. So, things like agent layers, transform groups, clip library, etc will not round-trip 100% as they don't have a USD representation. For caching an agent definition, you should just use the Agent Definition Cache SOP if you want it to be exactly preserved
5 posts
Thank you for the clarification. I was under the impression that it should be possible to store agent layers as "variations" in USD and vice versa.
Staff
730 posts
USD variants would be a possible encoding, yes. Currently SOP Import creates a multi-reference since an agent primitive (as of 19.0) can have an arbitrary number of layers assigned to it
  • Quick Links