Karma renders appearing slightly blurry or out of focus

1729   3   1
2 posts
Hi, hope this is an appropriate question for this forum.

I'm doing some test renders to get familiar with rendering with Karma, and I feel like my renders are slightly blurry no matter what. Like the camera is slightly out of focus. Wondering if this is related to sample size or maybe something I'm unfamiliar with.

In the shots I attached I rendered in 4k, sample size 600, no denoising. Cameras are 4k also, fstop 4 and I set the focus distance manually using the handles so the "tip" is directly on the box. I also set diffusion, reflection, and refraction to 10. The scene is set up in Solaris and has a white environment light and an area light.

The wide shot is slightly blurrier it seems, and in the close up I still feel like the edges should be sharper. I'm comparing this to videos I've watched of people rendering in Karma, and I feel mine are a tad more unclear.

Am I imagining this or am I missing something?

Attachments:
test14k_6.jpg (1.6 MB)
test14k_5.jpg (1.9 MB)

7836 posts
Is it still this soft with depth of field disabled or fstop set to 0?
2 posts
jsmack

I'm not sure about DOF, I don't think I've done a render without it enabled. Some other renders I did before this had fstop set to 0 by default, and they were soft too.

I'm away from my PC, but I will try to disabling DOF when I'm back home.

But it is soft, right? This was rendered with Karma XPU if that matters, forgot to mention that.
Edited by mrtd - April 29, 2022 18:39:51
7836 posts
mrtd
jsmack

I'm not sure about DOF, I don't think I've done a render without it enabled. Some other renders I did before this had fstop set to 0 by default, and they were soft too.

I'm away from my PC, but I will try to disabling DOF when I'm back home.

But it is soft, right? This was rendered with Karma XPU if that matters, forgot to mention that.

Yes it seems very soft. If depth of field is enabled, it could be the focal point chosen is incorrect.

Another cause of softness is the pixel filter. Have you changed the size or type of pixel filter? The default of gauss 2 is slightly soft, but not that soft.
  • Quick Links