FLIP fluid meshing producing moire stair step artifacts

1858   2   1
436 posts
https://youtu.be/dW_ibs5OAQ8 [youtu.be]

WIP, very early. Boiling hot liquid, churning with vicious carnivorous extremophile lifeforms (under NDA sorry!). Collision bodies left out of GL flipbook. Each collision body is about size of an adult human male head, for scale reference.
Houdini DOP units and scene units are in Meters. Ambient DOP gravity is -98.065 m/s^2. Shot is at 60fps.

Simulation and surface done in Houdini 17.0.459, via FLIP particle fluid DOP.
Issue at hand : Moire banding and stair step on the output rendering mesh. I uncertain as to where moire banding is from. Is it in the result of DOP simulation, or an artifact of meshing? Meshing is done by Particle Fluid Surface SOP.
I tried various settings on smoothing , particle separation (in SOP), and various voxel sizes in DOP. But moire banding and stepping is still present in the mesh.
If anyone is familiar with this issue, and possible solutions, please chime in.
URL on top of post.
Thank you and G*d bless.
Edited by Dave_ah - March 14, 2019 09:12:45
29 posts
Did you ever solve this issue? I have the exact problem.
436 posts
jarjarshaq
Did you ever solve this issue? I have the exact problem.
Yes. Long time ago. Use Particle Surface Mesh SOP with generous amount of smoothing in options. The FLIP resolution should be somewhat high (for a given scene). I have this rule of thumb. In pers view have the view camera such that it is the closest that camera will be to surface. Add box primitive and set subdivisions such that the wireframe mesh edges are so close to each other that that the background just just can be peeked through the mesh when viewed by the perp view camera. Put down another box sop and set its size to about the size of individual poly on large heavily meshed box. The small box is your reference for voxel size. In DOPs FLIP box has a small guide on one or more of corners showing the size of voxel.
  • Quick Links