Exporting Animated character To Unreal with skeleton

2454   5   2
29 posts
Hello everybody!, I am trying to export an animated character rigged and skinned using KineFX , but when I export as an .FBX Unreal won't recognize any bone or skeleton information, I tried to export only the skinned mesh or merged with the skeleton and still no success If anyone has exported an skeleton created in Houdini to Unreal I would appreciate your help or any thoughts/help from you guys.
thank you in advance, here are the images of the problem:

Attachments:
character_mesh.jpg (132.2 KB)
skeleton.jpg (101.3 KB)
merge.jpg (134.6 KB)
fbx_export.jpg (177.2 KB)
Unreal_import.jpg (64.2 KB)
Unreal.jpg (83.9 KB)
No_skeleton.jpg (241.6 KB)

30 posts
You must enable the animation tick when entering Unreal.

Attachments:
Capture.JPG (49.3 KB)

29 posts
@sajadalavi
Hello!,thank you so much for replying, I did try also importing checking that one but It did not work either, now I found out the problem is that Houdini is not exporting any animation or bones in the fbx. I also found a lot of people having problems exporting animation with their .fbx from Houdini
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I need a step by step video or guide on How to create an skeleton using the Houdini skeleton tool, animate something using that skeleton and the importing that into Unreal as an skeletal mesh with bones.

Does anyone has any information on how to do this? I mean if I can not export my animations out Houdini then there is no point on even trying to use this software for animation then.

I would really appreciate any help , thank you guys a lot.

Should I contact support on this ?
6 posts
It looks like you are using the wrong node and exporting just FBX, static mesh. And not an animated mesh, or skeletal mesh.
https://i.imgur.com/tZSCgkd.png [i.imgur.com]

I would assume your setup is also not done correctly.
I cant think of some tutorial that goes over that right now, but you should be able to find plenty on youtube or possibly even SideFX tutorials page.
Don't guess, but find, copy and learn .
29 posts
@dtlendvaj

Hello there! Thanks a lot for the reply, I figured out that the problem as you said was my setup , I forgot to post here the way it worked for me so I will attach an image of that.

Thank you for your example image !

Attachments:
u8nreal_export_example.jpg (108.3 KB)

5 posts
Hi! I have the same problem with exporting fbx animation from Houdini to UE. It would be great if you can share the project file.
  • Quick Links