Where is the houdini.env??

32516   7   3
1 posts
Im trying to install redshift in houdini but cant seem to find the houdini.env file anywhere. It is not located on my document/houdinixxx .. how and were can i access this file? am i looking in the wrong place…

could someone please share step by step installation of redshift process?
806 posts
Moin,

installing Redshift for Houdini is described in detail on the Redshift homepage (reading the docs quite often solves a few questions ). Generally you need to use the Redshift configuration that matches your Houdini Plugin version (which may be older than your Houdini Program version).

Assuming you are talking about Windows here: The houdini.env file is in your documents folder (that's usually c:\users\your-username\documents\Houdinixxx - with xxx being the version number you are running).
Add Redshift's binary directory to your houdini.env PATH variable as described in the documentation, also add a variable “HOUDINI_PATH” pointing to the Redshift plugin version mentioned above (Redshift usually installs itself to c:\programdata\Redshift).

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
15 posts
what did you just say?

I've been struggling to install on ubuntu 18.04. I got through the installation process in the terminal then went wit the default path then it gave me the houdini.env page to do additional steps but I didn't see any additional steps needed. If so how do I do them?

Why does this installation have to be so techie and hard like I need a computer science degree. What happened to the good ol days of plug and play?
Pierre-James
pierrejamesart.com
833 posts
I made a short tutorial on how to install Redshift, this is in OSX, but the basic idea should apply across the board:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in1XoLH4zRg&t=3s [www.youtube.com]
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
22 posts
Could someone elaborate a bit on the topic head line, please?
For some other issue I'm looking all over a windows10 system to find the houdini.env file on a houdini 17.0.325
I can't seem to find it.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it.

For those following the Houdini Website:
It's not as they claim on %HOME%/houdiniX.X/houdini.env but on %HOME/documents/houdiniX.X/houdini.env
Edited by 7pc - Dec. 2, 2018 12:40:24
7740 posts
Since %HOME%is C:/Users/%USERNAME%/documents, the path is correct.
Edited by jsmack - Dec. 2, 2018 14:31:42
11 posts
I spent some time working this out too – I'm curious why $HOME ends up evaluating to the Documents/ folder. Is this internal to the Houdini executable?

I know there isn't a standard %HOME% variable in Windows, so it looks like Houdini is making a judgement call (and it's a reasonable decision). But a lot of similar data goes into %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\AppData\Roaming as well… might be nice to be able to specify that as $HOME.
Brian Silva
Pipeline @ Locksmith Animation
FX / Lighting / LookDev Artist
4 posts
How do I change this to access a different houdini.env file? I have Houdini installed on both my Windows desktop and my Windows laptop, and both write to the same houdini.env file because they're both default installs, and OneDrive syncs any changes. The desktop has a Geforce RTX 3060 Ti card installed, while the laptop has an RTX 2060. After I work in one of them, booting up the other gives me an error that it can't find the Geforce card corresponding to its setup and both default to the Intel integrated graphics. Also, the scaling values of 1.75 that I have to use to be able to read things on the desktop makes things too big on the laptop.

What I want to do is to have each install read its own houdini.env file so that will each boot up properly configured for their environments. I emailed Side FX about the problem, but their response seemed overly complex, and I was wondering if there's a simpler way to achieve this...
  • Quick Links