just wondering about real flow and houdin?

17130   19   3
135 posts
I was tring to create a sim in real flow that I saved and exported out. I would like to bring it in to houdini for the rest… I am wondering aside from the dll's for windows from DCA is there other steps into the import of this sim..?

all help would be great…

G
3D Mind body and Soul Great illusions are done by great artists…
18 posts
plugin is here - http://digitalcinemaarts.com/dev/real_flow/index.html [digitalcinemaarts.com]
135 posts
thanks for the link but i was wondering about the import process… from reflo w into houdini…

thanks…
53 posts
mentor
plugin is here - http://digitalcinemaarts.com/dev/real_flow/index.html [digitalcinemaarts.com]

For some reason, I can't seem to get my meshes imported as an animation (even using the $F..) I posted a while back in the tech. forum but nothing seemed to fix it.
53 posts
mentor

For some reason, I can't seem to get my meshes imported as an animation (even using the $F..) I posted a while back in the tech. forum but nothing seemed to fix it.
135 posts
That's what I meant before… About the importing part… I followed the notes that it says on the site… When i try to import it it doesn't show up in the file… I have the importer (Tile) meaning SOP in the scene but it;s the red arrow is on meaning nothing showed up… Any ideas in the way to export it out or saving the file from Realflow to be seen inside of houdini…?

any help would be great …

Iknow Mark told me awhile back how to make this happen but i can;t seem to find that post in the forum…

George…

Sorry for such a lame question….
53 posts
I never tried it, but you could export your RF mesh as an .obj sequences…then you wouldn't need this plug-in.
135 posts
I;ll try that.. thanks stevester

and thanks for all the advice mentor and stevester1…

George
543 posts
Hello,

I'm not sure what you're doing but I've no problem importing sequences of RF mesh and particle files. It's rock solid. If you can post more information I may be able to help.

The BIG problem with OBJ files is that you can't get the attributes into Houdini that would normally from the RF plugins. That may not be a problem for you but I often use many of the attributes from the sim for further processing and shading.

–Mark
========================================================
You are no age between space
33 posts
Make sure you match the frame padding from RealFlow in your file expression (RealFlow likes a padding of 5 by default, so you might need $F5).
Can't imagine what else it could be if you're just trying to load meshes. I'd agree with xionmark: The importer is pretty solid.
34 posts
in the mesh file name (RF import node's parameters) in the place of the frame number instead of $F5 try ‘padzero 5, $F’

53 posts
Alright I tried the suggestions and:

-filepath/Mesh0100001.$F5.bin doesnt work.

-filepath/Mesh0100001'padzero 5, $F'.bin

Am I typing it wrong?
Staff
2540 posts
That would be

filepath/Mesh0100001`padzero( 5, $F)`.bin

As well you need to use backticks to force expressions to evaluate. It looks like you are using plain single quotes. The backtick on most US keyboards is located in the upper left (same as tilde ~ key).
There's at least one school like the old school!
33 posts
Also, that 00001 after Mesh01 is your padded frame number. So you really want:

filepath/Mesh01`padzero( 5, $F )`.bin

I do have a simple HDA that wraps around the rf importer, to create a slightly more convenient interface for loading rf data. Among other things, it separates the filename from the frame number so you don't have to setup the expressions yourself every time. I'll post it up later if you can't get that expression to work.
53 posts
Vormav
Also, that 00001 after Mesh01 is your padded frame number. So you really want:

filepath/Mesh01`padzero( 5, $F )`.bin

I do have a simple HDA that wraps around the rf importer, to create a slightly more convenient interface for loading rf data. Among other things, it separates the filename from the frame number so you don't have to setup the expressions yourself every time. I'll post it up later if you can't get that expression to work.

Thanks alot, I appreciate it.

So I tried :
filepath/Mesh01`padzero(_5,_$F_ )`.bin

and sadly nothing
543 posts
stevester1
Alright I tried the suggestions and:

-filepath/Mesh0100001.$F5.bin doesnt work.

-filepath/Mesh0100001'padzero 5, $F'.bin

Am I typing it wrong?

-filepath/Mesh01$F5.bin

No need for padzero().

Easy peasy.

–Mark
========================================================
You are no age between space
53 posts
Very Very Very strange. I typed the expression Mark and it did not work. Then, I re-checked my filepath, and I noticed that one of my sub folder's is named Steve's Work. I removed the ' and now it works just fine. Funny. Anyways, thanks for the expression, I really appreciate it.
135 posts
thanks alot for all suggestions… I will try to use all that were mentioned……
50 posts
Forget about it… when's Houdini 9 comin'? Do it all inside H.
“Don't just look for what you think you will find”

-That CSI guy
135 posts
Thanks man needed to hear from someone in the inside…
  • Quick Links