Open GL clipping problems

8890   3   1
2 posts
I am getting some weird clipping in the 3D viewer. Portions of objects disapear and reapear in a fashion somehow based on their relative position to the veiwport. Usually only half of any object is visible at one time. I have tried changing all the viewport settings and nothing has any effect. This is a fresh installation of Houdini 5.5.26 apprentice edition. I am using a GeForce 2 MX 400. Please help!

Thanks
7025 posts
Hi,
I have a GeForce4 MX at home and get the same problems, it appears to be a limitation with the GeForce game cards (the Quadro cards do not have this problem). You can manually work around it however, by opening the Display options for the viewport that is having problems, going to the Culling page and manually adjusting the clipping planes. Use the Middle Mouse number ladder to interactively adjust the clipping plane.

Cheers,

Peter B

fractallian
I am getting some weird clipping in the 3D viewer. Portions of objects disapear and reapear in a fashion somehow based on their relative position to the veiwport. Usually only half of any object is visible at one time. I have tried changing all the viewport settings and nothing has any effect. This is a fresh installation of Houdini 5.5.26 apprentice edition. I am using a GeForce 2 MX 400. Please help!

Thanks
2 posts
Cool, thanks, I never thought that raising the near clipping plane would have any effect but it does. Doesn't make any sense, but a near clipping plane level of 1 looks great but .001 doesn't. hmmmm….

~fractallian
Staff
270 posts
If you want the gory details of why you should push the near plane back as far as you can, see:
http://www.opengl.org/developers/faqs/technical/depthbuffer.htm#dept0045 [opengl.org]
and
http://www.opengl.org/developers/faqs/technical/depthbuffer.htm#0060 [opengl.org]
  • Quick Links