ACES ColorSpace color problem?

2947   8   0
10 posts

Maybe model's texture need using ACEScg color space,but when using color node set the color value directly,they still look not the same.
7802 posts
It's right for it to be wrong
10 posts
jsmack
It's right for it to be wrong
I believe the Srgb color is what the modeler want.
And when you pick a color from color pannel,you also want the viewport color is the same color.
7802 posts
6panda6

Then the color needs to be transformed into ACEScg first. It still won't look the same as the sRGB view because of tonemapping, but that's to be expected.

6panda6
And when you pick a color from color pannel,you also want the viewport color is the same color.

There are settings on the color picker for what display view is applied to the swatch. Make sure the same view is applied in the color picker as the viewport. They look like they match to me. Note that applying a color to geometry without a material will result in a darker color, because the default material has a gray diffuse value, which is multiplied by the geometry color. In my screenshot I'm picking the color on a constant shader.

Attachments:
color_picker_view.png (785.8 KB)

8 posts
jsmack
6panda6

Then the color needs to be transformed into ACEScg first. It still won't look the same as the sRGB view because of tonemapping, but that's to be expected.

If i get you right, when viewing lets say a model with just diffuse texture, with ocio viewport it is OK to see different result, than the one seen with default lut and gamma? Even though that same texture looks different when opened with some image viewer?
7802 posts
Vladimir_Chesnokov
If i get you right, when viewing lets say a model with just diffuse texture, with ocio viewport it is OK to see different result, than the one seen with default lut and gamma? Even though that same texture looks different when opened with some image viewer?

Lut/gamma should look different from the ACEScg/sRGB transform because they do different things to the colors. Gamma only applies a curve to the color values, whereas the ACES transform changes from one color gamut to another as well as applying a film curve and finally applying the screen transform. I don't know what the image looking a certain way in some image viewer would mean. It could be wrong or could be right, it depends on the color space of the texture. If the texture is tagged with its colorspace that ocio recognizes, then it should be transformed into the correct space when rendered with OCIO. The film curve of ACES means that it will not match the source when viewed with an ACES view. Newer 2.0 configs have an un-tonemapped view for this reason--it does not apply the film curve; useful when matching a reference color is required.
8 posts
jsmack
Vladimir_Chesnokov

Lut/gamma should look different from the ACEScg/sRGB transform because they do different things to the colors. Gamma only applies a curve to the color values, whereas the ACES transform changes from one color gamut to another as well as applying a film curve and finally applying the screen transform. I don't know what the image looking a certain way in some image viewer would mean. It could be wrong or could be right, it depends on the color space of the texture. If the texture is tagged with its colorspace that ocio recognizes, then it should be transformed into the correct space when rendered with OCIO. The film curve of ACES means that it will not match the source when viewed with an ACES view. Newer 2.0 configs have an un-tonemapped view for this reason--it does not apply the film curve; useful when matching a reference color is required.
Thank for the reply. To clarify, i wanted to match a texture in srgb. What i have found is that by using ocio transform node with "from" set to "output srgb" and "to" set to "aces cg" i can match the colors exactly.
7802 posts
Vladimir_Chesnokov
jsmack
Vladimir_Chesnokov

Thank for the reply. To clarify, i wanted to match a texture in srgb. What i have found is that by using ocio transform node with "from" set to "output srgb" and "to" set to "aces cg" i can match the colors exactly.

yes, that transform will invert the display view transform including the film curve. It's fine for emissive and imposter textures, however it might produce values greater than 1.0 which could make it non-energy preserving when used as diffuse reflectivity values.
8 posts
jsmack
Vladimir_Chesnokov
jsmack
Vladimir_Chesnokov

yes, that transform will invert the display view transform including the film curve. It's fine for emissive and imposter textures, however it might produce values greater than 1.0 which could make it non-energy preserving when used as diffuse reflectivity values.
hmmm, is it fine to use that as albedo then?
  • Quick Links