Pivot point missing? Not transforming!

8887   1   1
436 posts
Hi.
A little bit of confusion on what should a clear subject.
I modeled a simple polygonal geometr, in Houdini.
In OBJECTS I am unable to transform the pivot point, or more accuratly I can't see it transform. First the ‘P’ is not drawn as it is for imported geometry (through File SOP). Transforming of the pivot in Pivot fields does not move it. Second question. Where is the pivot orientation/rotation fields.
Thank you

Dave Rindner
212 posts
in a network pane for Object level, put it in list mode (t or CNRTL RMB to find the option). This is the only way to interactively toggle on/off the objects pivot. it will be the third column. i've seen some wierd updates with the pivot not showing up in the correct place if the object has been transformed first. it does snap back to the object's centroid if you start to mess with its transforms once it is displayed.

Unfortunately there is no handle to manipulate an object's pivot. also the interactive handle (aka TRS jack) doesn't obey a non-zero pivot. ex. do that door example and set the pivot to one of the edges for the hinge. the object will rotate correct from a parameter window, but if you select it interactively in the viewport, the Jack doesn't obey the offset pivot location. it's one of my pet peevees with houdini. That and the fact an object's pivot channels are not CLEANED if you try to ‘freeze’ its transformations the houdini way.

in most cases you can solve this with some parenting of nulls to set up the desired results and behaviours.

does this help?

-k :?:
  • Quick Links