Houdini and Redshift freezing system

1680   4   0
12 posts
Hello all!

I recently built a PC for heavy Houdini/Redshift work. The build is a Threadripper 3960x, 128 gb ram and 2 GeForce RTX 3080Xs. I have the latest versions of both Houdini and Redshift as well as the latest gpu drivers installed. My system is frequently freezing (no courser movement or ability to open task manager) and requires a hard shut down. This happens randomly while working in the software as well as during rendering (the number of frames that it renders before freezing up varies widely, even with the exact same scene).

Is there a solution to this problem? Is it a common occurrence? Unfortunately its impossible to do work on this machine with this issue.

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.
2561 posts
If you're overclocking, knock it back a multiplier or two.
Monitor your GPU heat and make sure your fans are working.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
12 posts
Thanks for the reply, Enivob. Here is the data from both cards at the point my machine froze during a Houdini/Redshift render. I'm not sure how to interpret all of the data but as far as I can tell, the temp is within normal ranges?
Edited by chrisHud - Oct. 14, 2021 10:05:36

Attachments:
IMG-3659 (0-00-00-00).png (3.1 MB)

12 posts
As far as the clock speed, I disabled "Core Performance Boost" in BIOS. It didn't seem to improve the freezing issue.
16 posts
Hey Chris did you ever find a solution?
  • Quick Links