render delegate selection in husk

4375   10   1
120 posts
Hi,

I have installed and working Arnold. I renders fine in stage viewport or via USD Render ROP.

When I try to run husk and select it as alternate Hydra client, it doesn't get recognized.
What am I missing?

[21:49:24] husk version 18.5.462
[21:49:24] Command Line: husk -f 60 -n 1 -V 7 -R Arnold -o 'out.$F.exr' scene2.usd
[21:49:25] Loading: scene2.usd
[21:49:26] Defaulting to use settings found at /Render/rendersettings
[21:49:26] Can't find Hydra plugin 'Arnold'. Choose one of:
[21:49:26]   - GL (HdStormRendererPlugin)
[21:49:26]   - Houdini GL (HD_HoudiniRendererPlugin)
[21:49:26]   - Karma (BRAY_HdKarma)
[21:49:26] Unable to load render plugin: Arnold

Thank you!
Michal Tas Maciejewski @ www.vfxtricks.com
Staff
4435 posts
Try setting the environment variable "TF_DEBUG=PLUG_*" to produce a bunch of output about USD's plugin loading when you run husk. This might help figure out why the Arnold plugin isn't being found (which is the first reason I would suspect for causing this issue). Assuming you can run the Arnold delegate in Houdini's viewport, try comparing the output of running husk vs Houdini with that TF_DEBUG setting to see if/where they differ.
120 posts
Good to know about this debug variable.

It was my terminal issue, wasn't reading my Env variables. I switched to different terminal, rather then fixing the broken one. Probably my Cmder is not configured properly, PowerShell works fine.

Thank you
7737 posts
tas3d
Good to know about this debug variable.

It was my terminal issue, wasn't reading my Env variables. I switched to different terminal, rather then fixing the broken one. Probably my Cmder is not configured properly, PowerShell works fine.

Thank you

Are you sourcing houdini_setup in the shell?
120 posts
I am not, at least not intentionally. Seems like PowerShell is.
I will keep this in mind if I need to run it on different shell. Not sure what Deadline will do once I start sending husk to deadline.

FYI, im on Win10.
7737 posts
tas3d
I am not, at least not intentionally. Seems like PowerShell is.
I will keep this in mind if I need to run it on different shell. Not sure what Deadline will do once I start sending husk to deadline.

FYI, im on Win10.

Normally to use any Houdini tools on the command line, a lot of env vars have to be set. This is done automatically when using the 'houdini command line tools' cmd prompt. Alternatively, sourcing houdini_setup ensures the shell has been prepared.
575 posts
hello Michal,
how did You setup the environment variables for Your cmd?
I tried to do it the same way as I start Houdini to use Arnold. I use a batch to set $PATH and $HOUDINI_PATH and start Houdini, but this does not work with Husk for me, either Arnold is not found by Husk or the $HOUDINI_PATH seems to be not correct, as some other tools are not loaded correctly. Would be great if You could tell me more about how You set up the environment to get Arnold with Husk in a cmd

thanks a lot
Martin
120 posts
I have this in my houdini.env

# htoa config start
PATH = $PATH;C:/Users/Tas/htoa/htoa-6.1.1.0_r8825678_houdini-19.0.589.py3/htoa-6.1.1.0_r8825678_houdini-19.0.589.py3/scripts/bin
HOUDINI_PATH = C:/Users/Tas/htoa/htoa-6.1.1.0_r8825678_houdini-19.0.589.py3/htoa-6.1.1.0_r8825678_houdini-19.0.589.py3;&
# htoa config end

be careful not to "mess" it up with other plugin paths that might come after/before loading Arnold. It was very finicky to setup. Especially when loading Redshift, Renderman and others all at the same time.
575 posts
Hi Michal,
thank You a lot for Your help.
I completely forgot the houdini.env file. I switched to packages some time ago.

With the houdini.env file it works now, with two errors, do You get them as well?
  • Can't open dophints.cmd
  • Unable to find procedural invoking script: python3.7libs/husd/runprocedurals.py

I will have to check how to reproduce that with a batch file, but it helps a lot.
Martin
120 posts
I semi switched to packages, but somehow renders are still via houdini.env

I don't get those errors, but I am on pretty old version, so can't really compare.

glad it helped
575 posts
just for completeness, packages do work with husk.
  • Quick Links