How to get Tangent Normal AOV with Karma ?

1209   3   0
22 posts
Hey,
All is in the title, I can't find an AOV to get a tangent normal map in karma, I get only a World Space.
Any idea to get a tangent, by a shader trick or something?

Any help will be very appreciated i'm totally stuck on this !

Thanks and have a good day

(PS : I also posted in Technical Discussion, before realise there was a specific channel, if a modo can delete it, sorry!)

Attachments:
houdini_kQ24semXiW.png (30.2 KB)

7802 posts
kentin
Hey,
All is in the title, I can't find an AOV to get a tangent normal map in karma, I get only a World Space.
Any idea to get a tangent, by a shader trick or something?
Image Not Found

Any help will be very appreciated i'm totally stuck on this !

Thanks and have a good day

(PS : I also posted in Technical Discussion, before realise there was a specific channel, if a modo can delete it, sorry!)

I'm not aware of a built in tangent normal output. If you have normal maps, you could add a karma aov node to export the texture value before it's passed to the tangent normal node.
22 posts
Hey, thanks!
But if I only export the textures value, it's not the mesh normals + the textures I guess?
I had this results with a bake node :

Unfortunatly there are issues with the bake nodes (part of the mesh are missing, and it's not clean, and the alpha cause issues, etc) and I try to replicate exactly this normal in Karma.
Do you know a way?

EDIT
------------------

I tested to render a custom aov normal and it's flat :

Is there maybe a shader trick or something to get the same normal as the bake ?
Edited by kentin - March 9, 2023 17:16:03

Attachments:
Oak_a1n1c_Billboards_n.png (2.1 MB)
mplay_nzSb6dabB1.png (423.8 KB)

7802 posts
Oh, you want to bake it down to a card, so the tangent normal is relative to a plane normal. You should just be able to refit the world space normal with respect to the desired plane. This could probably be done in post using composite operations.
  • Quick Links