Can you adjust OpenGL Light Intensity

1027   5   0
9 posts
Is there some Parameter that can be added to a light in the parameter interface so that I can adjust the intensity of the light just impacting the openGL viewport so that it better matches what I am getting out of the render?

Longer version which if you understood the above sentence you don't need to read. If I am rendering something with a fair amount of displacement and or opacity it is really easy to just add opengl parameters to the materials to quickly make sure things are lined up. However when spending the time to make things look nice the light intensity I need to set for the render to be exposed correctly and the viewport are pretty far off where acceptable render light levels blow out the viewport. If I look in the parameter list I only see settings for things like Bloom and Fog but not something like Intensity. Not sure if I am just looking in the wrong place but I'm hoping somebody knows how to get it so that I can set the light the intensity for the render and make an adjustment on how intense the light will be in the viewport so that I can still use the high quality opengl viewport and don't have to just turn off all the lights after setting the render intensity correctly. Currently I'm adjusting Intensity on the material side to get them to match but this means more adjustment when turning high quality lighting off.
2537 posts
Have you considered lighting in LOPs?
It's more of a WYSIWIG layout context compared to the traditional SOP/ROP approach for look/dev.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
9 posts
I have considered LOPS but it doesn't really work there. Also the my need wanting the opengl intensity values to be exposed on lights is because I am switching between high quality lighting and headlight while dealing with modeling and animation tasks.
6 posts
I have always wondered about this issue when using Redshift and found myself looking for a similair solution. What I ended up doing as a workaround is just setting light intensities using the viewport as a benchmark so that they don't blow out, and then compensate the exposure in Redshift using the Post-FX parameters and just turning the photographic exposure way up.
9 posts
Neronie
I have always wondered about this issue when using Redshift and found myself looking for a similair solution. What I ended up doing as a workaround is just setting light intensities using the viewport as a benchmark so that they don't blow out, and then compensate the exposure in Redshift using the Post-FX parameters and just turning the photographic exposure way up.

I think this has been an issue for many people especially if using a 3rd party render. However even just using the houdini renders it still can crop up. I had seen other people attach color nodes to prevent lights from blowout but my current method is that I add a null with a parameter which I pipe into the diffuse and specular intensity of the opengl material. The values are always the same on every object and I am just flipping between the two when switching between headlight and high quality lighting. However at some point this just seems dumb and think there to be a better way. So either the parameter exists and I just don't know what the thing is called which I think feels very likely or it doesn't exist and really should be added. Sidefx have a great opengl viewport and graphics cards are getting better so why not take advantage of it.
859 posts
Would that be a case for the viewport correction toolbar? It's hidden by default.
--
Jobless
  • Quick Links