Ray sop issues

1513   4   1
48 posts
I'm having issues with the ray sop when rendering with xpu, it works fine most of the time in the viewport, but when rendered out with mplay or to disk at 4k the decal fades away to just a ghosted image on the surface, but sometimes it actually renders properly, very frustrating, I've tried every setting there is and many different images and formats but nothing helps, if I just project a color with an opacity, it always works, or an image without an opacity it works. Arnold works perfectly.
I really need to project decals onto the surface of objects.
Any help with this would be an enormous help,
Thanks,
T.
Staff
473 posts
example scene?
48 posts
RaySop1.png is the result produced in the viewport, RaySop2.png is the result when rendered to either MPlay or to disk, I can't give you a copy of the file for obvious reasons, but it is a straight forward setup. It also works fine in CPU mode.

Edit:
After a lot more testing, it appears that it's not just the Ray sop, it's any object (mesh) which is too close to another, for e.g. if you have a small grid just above a larger grid and the smaller grid has an image and an opacity for a cutout, the image will fade (in XPU mode).
There is an exception, all is well in CPU mode or in XPU mode if one of my GPU's out of the two stops rendering because it's gpu memory is too full.

Edit2:
It seems that it is a GPU memory issue, if you create a basic scene with a few objects, then all is well, but with a complex scene with lots of materials and objects, the problem arises, I am using 2x 2080ti's with 11GB onboard, very odd that Arnold has no problems with rendering the same scene.

Problem solved...
It was caused by a material on a group of faces on the parker light, changed out the material and everything works as it should, quite amazing really, the material that was changed out didn't look at all out of the ordinary.

T.
Edited by Tser - April 3, 2023 21:28:44
Staff
473 posts
Tser
It was caused by a material on a group of faces on the parker light, changed out the material and everything works as it should, quite amazing really, the material that was changed out didn't look at all out of the ordinary.

Sounds a lot like a bug
Is it possible for you could create a simple repro scene? (eg sphere on a plane, basic stuff, not any private material you're working on)
If so I'll file a bug report and hopefully look at it soon.

thanks!
48 posts
brians
Tser

Sounds a lot like a bug
Is it possible for you could create a simple repro scene? (eg sphere on a plane, basic stuff, not any private material you're working on)
If so I'll file a bug report and hopefully look at it soon.

thanks!
Thanks Brians, I created a couple of simple scenes and couldn't reproduce the issue, it only seems to manifest out on complex scenes with many materials, at least I now know what to look for if this issue appears in the future.
T.
  • Quick Links