Visualize attribs from PCloud on Pieces?

827   4   1
900 posts
I have have a point cloud of millions of points with attributes storing information about corresponding pieces.
I need to display the points and the information on the pieces, without merging the 2 streams of geometry.

My idea, which I don't like:
use python to create a new geometry node at /obj level to merge there the point cloud with a Visualizer Sop to display the attributes info.
Issues I see: the need to dynamically deal with python with the viewport settings and the rules for displaying objects in the viewport. Also, what to do with the new point cloud object(s) that are littering the /obj level? And when to delete them? All rules that are very hard to establish and make into code.

Note:
1) I can't transfer the info-attribs on the geometry pieces and display the infos directly from the pieces. The info attribs must be read from the point cloud.
2) I can use python, but I would love NOT be forced to learn Python States for this project.
Also, I need to display possibly dozen of millions of values in the viewport. The "visualize sop" works just well for that, not sure about python states?

Any idea?
thanks!
Edited by Andr - April 4, 2023 02:31:13

Attachments:
visualize_from_different_stream.JPG (28.8 KB)

8554 posts
you can display one visualizer with Display flag and another with Selectable Template Flag (Ctrl+LMB on template flag) without merging the geos, both of them will show visualized data in the viewport (there is no limit on SOPs displayed as Selectable Template you can Shift+Ctrl+LMB add more)
Edited by tamte - April 4, 2023 02:58:19
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
900 posts
Ohh great news, thanks!
you saved me a lot of trouble (and time).
900 posts
It seems that the templated Visualizer SOP node needs to be at the same network level as the node with the display flag checked in order for the visualizer to show up.
Therefore, you can't use this trick in HDAs where you want to show a visualizer SOP from within the HDA itself.

I suppose I need to dynamically create a visualizer in Python using the hou.viewportVisualizers module, right?
Edited by Andr - April 4, 2023 13:14:26
900 posts
Andr
I suppose I need to dynamically create a visualizer in Python using the hou.viewportVisualizers module, right?

As far as I understand, even if I use Python to create a Visualizer for a specific node inside a subnet, I would still encounter the same problem. This is because the Visualizer would have a limited "Scope" set to the child node, which means it wouldn't show up in the parent network?
  • Quick Links