ffmpeg encode video top frame range?

1119   2   3
225 posts
Hello,

Using houdini 19.0.589.
I rendered out an image sequence of exrs from houdini with the frame range of 30-240. I wanted to quickly use the ffmpeg encode video top. I set input source to custom file path. everytime I try to cook the node it gives me an error saying it can't find frame 0000. That is because it doesn't exist, it needs to start on frame 0030. Shouldn't the node just get the frame range based on the files?

Thanks

Attachments:
pdg.PNG (63.4 KB)

Thanks,

Evan
53 posts
ffmpeg just simply requires you to specify the frames differently from Houdini. Ffmpeg is a different software, the node in Houdini just encapsulates it and construct a command-line argument. Therefore, your solution will be in the ffmpeg documentation. Bit annoying to switch conventions, but I guess we cannot be too picky

https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#Automatic-stream-selection [www.ffmpeg.org]

For creating a video from many images:

ffmpeg -f image2 -framerate 12 -i foo-%03d.jpeg -s WxH foo.avi

The syntax foo-%03d.jpeg specifies to use a decimal number composed of three digits padded with zeroes to express the sequence number. It is the same syntax supported by the C printf function, but only formats accepting a normal integer are suitable.

When importing an image sequence, -i also supports expanding shell-like wildcard patterns (globbing) internally, by selecting the image2-specific -pattern_type glob option.

For example, for creating a video from filenames matching the glob pattern foo-*.jpeg:
Technical VFX artist @ Housemarque / Sony Interactive Entertainment
225 posts
Robbert
ffmpeg just simply requires you to specify the frames differently from Houdini. Ffmpeg is a different software, the node in Houdini just encapsulates it and construct a command-line argument. Therefore, your solution will be in the ffmpeg documentation. Bit annoying to switch conventions, but I guess we cannot be too picky

https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#Automatic-stream-selection [www.ffmpeg.org]

For creating a video from many images:

ffmpeg -f image2 -framerate 12 -i foo-%03d.jpeg -s WxH foo.avi

The syntax foo-%03d.jpeg specifies to use a decimal number composed of three digits padded with zeroes to express the sequence number. It is the same syntax supported by the C printf function, but only formats accepting a normal integer are suitable.

When importing an image sequence, -i also supports expanding shell-like wildcard patterns (globbing) internally, by selecting the image2-specific -pattern_type glob option. I did try adding a command based on what I googled, but it didn't work.

For example, for creating a video from filenames matching the glob pattern foo-*.jpeg:

Thanks. just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an easier way, the ffmpeg node constructs the command and adds an interface for other options to be easily changed, I guess the frame range wasn't included.
Thanks,

Evan
  • Quick Links