Houdini to Maya alembic- UVs disappear if I advance timeline

1204   4   1
2 posts
Hi, first time posting here.

I made a simple vellum cloth animation in Houdini. I started from an imported plane mesh obj with UVs, then I ran it through a remesh node, used edge fracture and vellumweld nodes to make it rip, and then used another RBD animation as the collision in the vellumcloth node to drive the ripping of the cloth. I checked the UVs and applied a material with the object's texture to check that everything is working correctly. It plays through the whole animation just fine, textures correctly applied. Then I exported it through a rop_alembic.

Over in Maya, I imported the alembic and it loads fine. I open the UV editor and the UVs are there. But the moment I hit play or go to another frame, they instantly disappear and don't come back. The animation plays perfectly btw. Also, if I go to another frame in the timeline other than the first frame before importing, the UVs still show up correctly in that frame until I do anything to the timeline. So it's not like only the first frame has UVs, they're there for the whole thing unless I move the time.

What could be causing this? Is this a Houdini issue or a Maya issue? It's something about the vellum procedure because I've exported other geometry as alembic in the same project and it loads fine with UVs intact.
82 posts
Have you tried assigning a material / texture in Maya to test if it displays or renders correctly on each frame? My guess is that you're just experiencing one of the many display issues in Maya's UV editor.
420 posts
Post the .hip or the .abc it would be much easier to help.
2 posts
freshbaked
Have you tried assigning a material / texture in Maya to test if it displays or renders correctly on each frame? My guess is that you're just experiencing one of the many display issues in Maya's UV editor.
I forgot to mention that yeah,I noticed the issue because I'd applied the material in Maya and after hitting play I noticed the texture disappeared.

sepu
Post the .hip or the .abc it would be much easier to help.
Sorry, it's for work, not sure I could post the file here.
Edited by bathroomtile - April 20, 2023 14:53:45
420 posts
then could you maybe make a simple repro scene
Edited by sepu - April 20, 2023 18:45:29
  • Quick Links