Houdini Hangs on Splash Screen

1342   5   1
10 posts
Hi everyone,

Hope you all are doing well. As of yesterday I have been having issues with opening up Houdini, it is stuck permanently on the splash screen and will not progress past it.

So far, I have ensured that my graphics card drivers are up to date, including using the proprietary nvidia and nouveau drivers, cleared out my user preference directory, and reinstalled Houdini to the latest daily build version. Curiously, I can load and run the geometry viewer with no issues, just not the main Houdini program.

There is no crashfile because the software does not crash, it just stays on the splash screen indefinitely. (8 + hours)

Any assistance or troubleshooting steps you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

My system info:
CPU: Intel i7 4.5GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
RAM: 64 GB

Thanks all!
59 posts
I guess it's because "Arch Linux" is not supported Houdini...
https://www.sidefx.com/Support/system-requirements/ [www.sidefx.com]
52 posts
Im having now the same exactly problem with Arch Linux, do you could solve this?
2 weeks ago was working perfect.

My hardware specs is pretty much the same with i5 with 32GB and a 1080ti with 530 nvidia driver.

any ideas?
10 posts
Unfortunately I wasn't able to solve the issue, and ended up restoring my machine from a backup to get it working. Sorry I can't be more help.
52 posts
Good News!
Solved! [bbs.archlinux.org]
Edited by Neoblink - April 21, 2023 15:47:55
10 posts
Huh, I never thought to attach GDB to the Houdini process. Thanks for sharing, that will be super helpful going forward!
  • Quick Links