Did .stl import changed since last few versions ?

1383   9   1
35 posts
Hello, I am noticing that imported .stl files are not loading in my new H 19.5.569 when they perfectly did in previous versions.
I did test with a few stl files I have in my pipeline and they don't open in 19.5.569 and they open in 19.5.534.
Any idea how to circumvent this issue ?

Thank you !

Tanguy
35 posts
So it looks like it is in the size of the file, the number of faces.
Before it seems to be not caped and now it is. Kinda annoying and not sure why it is made that way now, doesn't make make real sense.

T
2044 posts
At what file size/polygon count do you start seeing this behavior?
I use stl and am curious. Using 403 at the moment but willing to give it a try with 569 to see if I get the same.
35 posts
So I did some test and I taught it was solely a poly count threshold but looks like not.
In 403 I don’t think you would see any of this behavior. I am working with .stl in Houdini for years and always been able to load whatever I fed ah H. The behavior changed with 19.5.569
Right now I seem to fine below 1.230.000 polys
But I got a 1223404 polys file which failing and a 1250980 passing so not entirely sure, BUT overall the behavior is following a poly count rule no matter what. and the last 2 files I mentioned are quite neighbors in term of poly count, I am gonna investigate further. For now I will do my stl ingest >> vdb >> before in 534 and resume pipeline operation on 569 for the time being
Edited by tanguybc - April 30, 2023 12:08:41
2044 posts
Installed 569 and happened to have a stl file of 393MB file size that has 1.425 million polygons.
Had no problem importing it, or working with it.

Not sure what the problem might be for you.
35 posts
Hmm that is interesting.
Same .stl working on 534 and not on 569 on my side.
What OS are you working in?
I am on Linux, I have to try on my windows maybe.
The thing is the same scene opens with no error in 534 and errored on 569 at the stl file node. So definitely something happening.
35 posts
Where your stl is generated ? I make mine in Rhino. I did not change my Rhino version neither.
2044 posts
The file I used was created in Houdini, although I do work between Rhino and Houdini;
Should put together a file in Rhino and export from there to test.
35 posts
So I am successful in loading the failed stl in my windows 569... It is a Linux side issue.
I am going to open a ticket, thank you for helping me figuring it out !

Tanguy
35 posts
I installed 19.5.601 on my Linux and I am successfully loading the stl, all of them, so looks like it is locally bugged to 19.5.569 Linux, I opened a ticket
  • Quick Links