Transfrom Geometry Until Collision?

669   2   0
9 posts
Hello, I'm somewhat new to Houdini and keep running into the task of wanting to procedurally transform / move part of my geometry into a specific direction (like for example the X axis) until it hits / collides with other geometry in that direction.

This would be tremendously helpful to me, so if anyone has any idea on how to do this, I would really appreciate it.
Thank you for your time and help!
56 posts
Hey, not sure if I get your question. Can you give an example or show what you have so far? You can get the positon of an intersection with the intersect() function in VEX or maybe a Ray-SOP is a good enough solution for you?

Edited by Xue_Yue - May 16, 2023 07:57:10

Attachments:
intersect.hip (233.5 KB)

9 posts
Hello Xue, thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!
I really appreciate it.

For further clarification, I created a very simple manual example of what I'm trying to do automatically:
I'm trying to move the box into a specific direction (in this case the Z axis) until it collides/ intersects with the sphere geometry.

Which should look something like this:

I have tried to make a for each loop using the intersect analysis. But to be honest, I'm not advanced enough to figure out how to automatically stop iterations as soon as the interset happens. I'm also not sure if that even is a valid approach to what I want to do.

Attachments:
move until collision example.hiplc (70.2 KB)

• Quick Links