Path deformer flattening out mesh

714   1   0
1 posts
I was following along with this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1k1qmim3iA&t=797s [www.youtube.com]
but when I tried to deform the petal mesh (around 13:08 in the vid) along the kinnefex curves, I noticed it was completely flattened out the petal mesh which made it look awful.
the straightness of the petals becomes apparent when looking at the flower from top view. as you can see the petal mesh I'm trying to deform is clearly curved.
this is what I've observed. These may be obvious from the get-go to more experienced users, but I'm fairly new to Houdini.
- using the custom vex wrangle (from the vid) instead of the path deformer yields the same results, which leads me to believe
those nodes aren't the culprit.
- inputting a basic bent grid mesh yields the same flattening.
- playing around with the curve point's orientation also doesn't seem to do anything to fix the issue.

I've attached the scene file if you want to take a look
Edited by Paul_Merzliakov - July 18, 2023 19:26:36

Attachments:
flower_top_view.PNG (2.6 MB)
flower_side_view.PNG (2.3 MB)
petal_mesh.PNG (2.1 MB)
flowe_petal_path_deform_error.hiplc (398.5 KB)

480 posts
There is no "transform" attribute on the curve, but you can create one with orientation along curve. Just check the 3x3 matrix as output attribute (transform). Just put this node between connectivity1 and foreach_begin2. Probably you have to rotate your Petal by 90 degree steps depending on setting of the orientation node.
  • Quick Links